Document Detail


Outcomes of microneurovascular facial reanimation using masseteric innervation in patients with long-standing facial palsy resulting from cured brainstem lesions.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  20651635     Owner:  NLM     Status:  In-Process    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
BACKGROUND: The functions of the human face are not only of esthetic significance but also extend into metaphoric nuances of psychology. The loss of function of one or both facial nerves has a remarkable impact on patients' lives.
OBJECTIVE: To retrospectively analyze the functional outcomes of microneurovascular facial reanimation using masseteric innervation.
METHODS: Seventeen patients with irreparable facial paralysis resulting from benign lesions involving the facial nuclei (n = 14) or Möbius syndrome (n = 3) were treated with free muscle flaps for oral commissural reanimation using ipsilateral masseteric innervation and using temporalis muscle transfer for eyelid reanimation. Results were analyzed by the absolute commissural excursion and commissural excursion index and by a patient self-evaluation score. Presence of synkinesis was documented. Follow-up ranged from 8 to 48 months (mean, 26.4 months).
RESULTS: Normalization of the commissural excursion index was observed in 8 of 17 patients (47%), an improvement was seen in 7 of 17 (41%), and failure was observed in 2 of 17 (12%). The individual dynamics of absolute commissural excursion and commissural excursion index changes are presented. A natural smiling response was observed in 10 of 17 patients (59%) but not in the remaining 7 (41%). This response reflected the patient's ability to relay the natural emotion of smiling through the masseteric nerve. Patients' self-evaluation scores were a level higher than objective indices.
CONCLUSIONS: Innervation of free muscle flaps with the masseteric nerve for oral commissure reanimation might play an important role in patients with lesions of the facial nuclei (as in Möbius syndrome). Synkinesis persists for long periods after surgery. However, most of the patients learned to express their emotions by overcoming this phenomenon. Despite hypercorrection or inadequate correction, patients evaluated themselves favorably.
Authors:
Kartik G Krishnan; Gabriele Schackert; Volker Seifert
Related Documents :
2167495 - The neurological complications of anderson-fabry disease (alpha-galactosidase a deficie...
3996945 - A critical approach to therapeutic apheresis in the management of inflammatory dysimmun...
3572185 - Anatomical relations in the carpal tunnel: a computed tomographic study.
20697105 - Clinical presentations and skin denervation in amyloid neuropathy due to transthyretin ...
22587685 - Incidence and clinical characteristics of myeloproliferative neoplasms displaying a pdg...
11823665 - Progression of middle cerebral artery occlusive disease and its relationship with furth...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Neurosurgery     Volume:  67     ISSN:  1524-4040     ISO Abbreviation:  Neurosurgery     Publication Date:  2010 Sep 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2010-08-23     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  7802914     Medline TA:  Neurosurgery     Country:  United States    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  663-74; discussion 674     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Neurosurgery, Center for Clinical Neurosciences, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany. Kartik.Krishnan@med.uni-frankfurt.de
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Decompressive craniectomy is not an independent risk factor for communicating hydrocephalus in patie...
Next Document:  An outbreak of Mycobacterium mucogenicum bacteremia in pediatric hematology-oncology patients.