Document Detail


Oral medication-induced esophageal injury in elderly patients.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  14501228     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
ABSTRACT Although oral medication induced esophageal injury (OMIEI), is a well-known and preventable condition, many cases are still missed, particularly in the elderly patients. OBJECTIVE To determine the frequency and outcome of oral medication-induced esophageal injury in elderly patients. METHODS Records of 390 patients aged over 65 years, with diagnoses of dysphagia, odynophagia, and noncardiac chest pain, over the period of 11 years, were selected for a retrospective review. Patients who had barium studies only, in whom endoscopy was not done or was unsuccessful, and those with incomplete data were excluded, leaving 250 patients for further review. RESULTS Diagnosis of OMIEI was made in 27% (68 of 250) patients. Fifty-one of 68 (75%) patients with OMIEI responded to conservative management, including H2 blockers, proton pump inhibitors, antacids, or sucralfate. The remaining 17 patients (25%) developed esophageal strictures requiring dilation. CONCLUSIONS A high index of clinical suspicion and low threshold for empiric treatment and diagnostic measures (endoscopy, barium swallow study), may be helpful, if indicated, for early diagnosis and prompt therapy of OMIEI.
Authors:
Abbasi J Akhtar
Related Documents :
11740598 - Solid phase radionuclide esophageal transit in mixed connective tissue disease.
7374098 - Esophageal transmural potential difference in patients with symptomatic gastroesophagea...
21682768 - Limiting iron supplementation for anemia in dialysis patients-the basis for japan's con...
437438 - Esophageal scintigraphy to quantitate esophageal transit (quantitation of esophageal tr...
23686428 - Is premorbid glenoid anatomy altered in patients with glenohumeral osteoarthritis?
22314668 - Can computer tomography help predict feasibility of transseptal puncture after percutan...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  The American journal of the medical sciences     Volume:  326     ISSN:  0002-9629     ISO Abbreviation:  Am. J. Med. Sci.     Publication Date:  2003 Sep 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2003-09-22     Completed Date:  2003-10-24     Revised Date:  2013-05-20    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0370506     Medline TA:  Am J Med Sci     Country:  United States    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  133-5     Citation Subset:  AIM; IM    
Affiliation:
Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science, Los Angeles, CA 90059, USA. abakhtar@cdrewu.edu
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Administration, Oral*
Aged
Aged, 80 and over
Antacids / administration & dosage,  adverse effects
Deglutition Disorders / chemically induced
Endoscopy
Esophageal Diseases / chemically induced*
Esophagus / drug effects*
Female
Histamine H2 Antagonists / administration & dosage,  adverse effects
Humans
Male
Protons
Retrospective Studies
Sucralfate / administration & dosage,  adverse effects
Chemical
Reg. No./Substance:
0/Antacids; 0/Histamine H2 Antagonists; 0/Protons; 54182-58-0/Sucralfate

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Electrocardiographic manifestations in patients with thyrotoxic periodic paralysis.
Next Document:  Building the case for cultural competence.