Document Detail

Open Retropubic Reanastomosis for Highly Recurrent and Complex Bladder Neck Stenosis.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  21944115     Owner:  NLM     Status:  Publisher    
PURPOSE: We assessed the success rate of open reanastomosis for highly recurrent bladder neck stenosis resistant to transurethral treatment. Due to the paucity of available data the success rate of this procedure is not well defined, although it can be a last treatment option before urinary diversion. MATERIALS AND METHODS: A total of 158 patients were treated for bladder neck stenosis in 1998 to 2007, of whom 20 underwent open reanastomosis for highly recurrent or complex bladder neck stenosis after radical prostatectomy and were seen for followup 3 months postoperatively. They received a standardized questionnaire at the time of data acquisition in this retrospective analysis. RESULTS: The 20 patients underwent a mean of 3.7 previous surgeries. Median followup was 59.2 months. Stenosis recurred after reanastomosis in 8 patients (40%) while the remaining 60% were recurrence free. Seven recurrences were successfully treated endoscopically, resulting in an overall combined 95% success rate. Urinary diversion was performed in 1 patient with another recurrence after reanastomosis and transurethral resection. Four patients (31%) had new onset incontinence and 13 were completely incontinent, of whom 9 were successfully treated with artificial urinary sphincter implantation. In another patient artificial urinary sphincter implantation is scheduled and 3 elected no further treatment. CONCLUSIONS: Open reanastomosis for recurrent bladder neck stenosis is a good therapeutic option in cases of endoscopic treatment failure. The initial success rate after reanastomosis was 60%, which increased to 95% after secondary treatment. There was a relatively high risk of new onset incontinence after reconstructive surgery but this was successfully treated with artificial urinary sphincter implantation in most patients.
Daniel Pfalzgraf; Maike Beuke; Hendrik Isbarn; Christoph Philip Reiss; Wolf-Hartmut Meyer-Moldenhauer; Roland Dahlem; Margit Fisch
Related Documents :
25412835 - Roentgenographic and computed tomographic findings in symptomatic lumbar foraminal sten...
21979395 - Inclusion of a spasmolytic in bowel cleansing: a prospective randomized study.
21727695 - Chronic urticaria in patients with autoimmune thyroiditis: significance of severity of ...
25439785 - Predictors of early and medium-term outcome of 200 consecutive aortic valve and root re...
9678975 - Ductal dilatation and stenting for residual hepatolithiasis: a promising treatment stra...
10811085 - Photorefractive keratectomy versus laser in situ keratomileusis: comparison of optical ...
Publication Detail:
Type:  -     Date:  2011-9-22
Journal Detail:
Title:  The Journal of urology     Volume:  -     ISSN:  1527-3792     ISO Abbreviation:  -     Publication Date:  2011 Sep 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2011-9-27     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0376374     Medline TA:  J Urol     Country:  -    
Other Details:
Languages:  ENG     Pagination:  -     Citation Subset:  -    
Copyright Information:
Copyright © 2011 American Urological Association Education and Research, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Department of Urology, University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine

Previous Document:  Induction of Caspase Mediated Apoptosis and Down-Regulation of Nuclear Factor-?B and Akt Signaling a...
Next Document:  Cutaneous Ureterostomy Technique for Adults and Effects of Ureteral Stenting: An Alternative to the ...