Document Detail


Obstetric outcome in women with hepatitis C virus infection and thyroid dysfunction.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  19636977     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
OBJECTIVES. To determine the incidence of thyroid abnormality in pregnant women with hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection and evaluate pregnancy outcomes with respect to thyroid function status. DESIGN. Prospective cohort study. SETTING. Tertiary care hospital. POPULATION. Pregnant women with HCV infection. METHODS. Seventy-eight HCV positive women had radioimmunoassay thyroid function tests. All were followed until delivery. Pregnancy outcomes were compared in women with and without subclinical hypothyroidism. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES. Maternal and perinatal outcomes. RESULTS. Of 78 anti-HCV antibody positive pregnant women, 13 (16.7%) had abnormal thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) (>5 mIU/L; hypothyroid group) and the remaining 65 (83.3%) had normal TSH values (euthyroid group). None had abnormal free T4 levels. None showed evidence of fetal distress in labor or fetal asphyxia. In the hypothyroid group, 23% compared to 6.2% in euthyroid group underwent cesarean section (p=0.07). The incidence of preterm delivery (7.7% vs. 24.6%; p=0.28), mean gestation at delivery (38.2+/-1.8 vs. 37.5+/-1.8 weeks, p=0.19), and birthweight (2,687+/-430 g vs. 2,846+/-379 g, p=0.18) was comparable. Neonatal nursery admissions were comparable. CONCLUSION. The presence of subclinical hypothyroidism in pregnant women with HCV infection does not adversely affect short-term pregnancy outcomes.
Authors:
Ashok Kumar; Krishna Agarwal; Ram Kumar Gupta; Premashish Kar
Related Documents :
24465797 - The rapid growth of fibroids during early pregnancy.
9101217 - Assessment of fetal thyroid function by colored doppler echography.
22977377 - Pheochromocytoma and pregnancy: a difficult and dangerous ordeal.
2506227 - Ultrasonography of the thyroid during pregnancy.
20932507 - Biochemical and biophysical predictors of the response to the induction of labor in nul...
7093167 - Amniotic fluid volumes and concentrations of c-peptide in diabetic pregnancies.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article; Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Acta obstetricia et gynecologica Scandinavica     Volume:  88     ISSN:  1600-0412     ISO Abbreviation:  Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand     Publication Date:  2009  
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2009-11-20     Completed Date:  2009-12-09     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0370343     Medline TA:  Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand     Country:  England    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  1133-7     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Loknayak Jaiprakash Hospital, Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi, India.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adult
Female
Humans
Hypothyroidism / blood,  epidemiology*
India / epidemiology
Pregnancy
Pregnancy Complications / blood,  epidemiology*
Pregnancy Complications, Infectious / blood,  epidemiology*
Pregnancy Outcome*
Thyroid Function Tests
Thyrotropin / blood
Thyroxine / blood
Chemical
Reg. No./Substance:
7488-70-2/Thyroxine; 9002-71-5/Thyrotropin

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Influence of glycemic control on fetal lung maturity in gestations affected by diabetes or mild hype...
Next Document:  Association between experiencing rape, police reporting, and self-reported health among women visiti...