Document Detail


Normal bacterial flora from vaginas of Criollo Limonero cows.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  21082249     Owner:  NLM     Status:  In-Process    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
In order to describe the normal bacterial flora in vaginas of Criollo Limonero cows, 51 healthy multiparous cows, at least 90-day postpartum, were selected. Duplicated swabs (N = 102) were taken from the vaginal fornix of cows to perform aerobic and anaerobic cultures as well as conventional biochemical tests. Out of 102 swabs, bacterial growth was obtained in 55 (53.9%) while the remaining 47 (46.1%) did not exhibited any bacterial growth. Of the 55 bacterial growths, 23 (41.8%) were aerobic whereas 32 (58.1%) were anaerobic. Likewise, 29 (52.72%) of bacterial growths were pure and 26 (47.27%) were mixed. Under both aerobic and anaerobic conditions, Gram positive bacteria were predominant (81.82% and 73.08%, respectively) over Gram negative bacteria (18.18% and 26.92%, respectively). Isolated bacteria were Arcanobacterium pyogenes (22.92%), Staphylococcus aureus (15.63%), Staphylococcus coagulase negative (17.71%), Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae (6.25%), Bacteroides spp. (13.54%), and Peptostreptococcus spp. (7.29%). In conclusion, normal vaginal bacterial flora of Criollo Limonero cows was predominantly Gram positive and included A. pyogenes, S. aureus, coagulase negative Staphylococcus, E. rhusiopathiae, Bacteroides spp., and Peptostreptococcus spp. In Criollo Limonero cattle, adaptive aspects such as development of humoral and physical mechanisms for defense, and bacterial adaptation to host deserve research attention.
Authors:
Sunny Zambrano-Nava; Julio Boscán-Ocando; Jexenia Nava
Related Documents :
8801189 - Mitochondrial inheritance in aspergillus nidulans.
21559509 - Induction of larval metamorphosis of the coral acropora millepora by tetrabromopyrrole ...
6139259 - Effects of selective breeding and age on the ability of the domestic fowl (gallus domes...
2959839 - Orientation of enzymic domains in tryptophan synthase of neurospora crassa: an immunobl...
22648479 - Increased strain levels and water content in brain tissue after decompressive craniotomy.
14643259 - Guest, a transposable element belonging to the tc1/mariner superfamily is an ancient in...
11330719 - Influence of glucose on glycerol metabolism by wild-type and mutant strains of clostrid...
1147599 - Artificial elimination of drug resistance from group a beta-hemolytic streptococci.
8801189 - Mitochondrial inheritance in aspergillus nidulans.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article; Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't     Date:  2010-11-17
Journal Detail:
Title:  Tropical animal health and production     Volume:  43     ISSN:  1573-7438     ISO Abbreviation:  Trop Anim Health Prod     Publication Date:  2011 Feb 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2011-01-05     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  1277355     Medline TA:  Trop Anim Health Prod     Country:  United States    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  291-4     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Instituto Nacional de Investigaciones Agrícolas. Estación Local Carrasquero, Unidad de Investigaciones Zootécnicas (UNIZ-FCV-LUZ), Maracaibo, Zulia, Venezuela. szambrano@inia.gob.ve
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Growth performance, carcass characteristics and meat sensory evaluation of West African dwarf sheep ...
Next Document:  ESPVR, ejection fraction and heart failure.