Document Detail


Nonsurgical management of high-risk lesions diagnosed at core needle biopsy: can malignancy be ruled out safely with breast MRI?
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  22268168     Owner:  NLM     Status:  In-Data-Review    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
OBJECTIVE: The purpose of this study was to investigate whether breast MRI can be used to rule out malignancy in patients with high-risk lesions diagnosed at imaging-guided core needle biopsy.
SUBJECTS AND METHODS: The subjects were women consecutively registered between October 2004 and April 2010 who had high-risk lesions diagnosed at mammographically or sonographically guided core needle biopsy and subsequently underwent MRI and surgical excision. MR images were reviewed by two experienced breast radiologists. Lesions assessed as BI-RADS category 1-3 were considered negative for malignancy, and BI-RADS 4 and 5 lesions were considered malignant. Histologic findings at surgical excision were the reference standard. The sensitivity, specificity, and positive and negative predictive values of MRI in the detection of associated malignancy were calculated for the entire set of lesions and for each histologic subtype.
RESULTS: The final sample consisted of 169 high-risk lesions in 166 patients. At MRI analysis, 116 (68.6%) lesions were considered negative for malignancy, and the other 53 (31.4%) malignant. At surgical excision, 22 malignant lesions were found. The overall sensitivity, specificity, and positive and negative predictive values of MRI were 72.7% (16/22), 74.8% (110/147), 30.2% (16/53), and 94.8% (110/116). The negative predictive values for papilloma, radial scar, lobular neoplasia, and atypical ductal hyperplasia were 97.4% (38/39), 97.6% (41/42), 88.0% (22/25), and 90.0% (9/10).
CONCLUSION: Patients with high-risk lesions associated with the lowest likelihood of malignancy (papilloma and radial scar) and without suspicious MRI findings can safely undergo follow-up instead of surgery. Because of the low negative predictive value, however, MRI is not helpful in cases of lobular neoplasia and atypical ductal hyperplasia, and all these lesions should be excised.
Authors:
Anna Linda; Chiara Zuiani; Alessandro Furlan; Michele Lorenzon; Viviana Londero; Rossano Girometti; Massimo Bazzocchi
Related Documents :
18579498 - Hamartomas of mature cardiac myocytes.
9590448 - Right-sided heart failure in a dog with primary cardiac rhabdomyosarcoma.
9117918 - Primary cardiac angiosarcoma: clinical and pathological diagnostic problems.
8420358 - Prenatal ultrasonographic diagnosis of intracranial teratoma and massive craniomegaly w...
22613358 - Ocular melanoma in a patient successfully treated for diffuse malignant peritoneal meso...
15737338 - Primary isolation of the bovine spongiform encephalopathy agent in mice: agent definiti...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  AJR. American journal of roentgenology     Volume:  198     ISSN:  1546-3141     ISO Abbreviation:  AJR Am J Roentgenol     Publication Date:  2012 Feb 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2012-01-23     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  7708173     Medline TA:  AJR Am J Roentgenol     Country:  United States    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  272-80     Citation Subset:  AIM; IM    
Affiliation:
Institute of Diagnostic Radiology, Azienda Ospedaliero-Universitaria Santa Maria della Misericordia, P.le S. Maria della Misericordia, 33100 Udine, Italy.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Papillary lesions of the breast: MRI, ultrasound, and mammographic appearances.
Next Document:  Management of patients diagnosed with lobular carcinoma in situ at needle core biopsy at a community...