Document Detail


Noninvasive organization analysis along consecutive episodes of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  22254596     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Atrial fibrillation (AF) is the most common cardiac arrhythmia in clinical practice. Although its mechanisms are incompletely understood, electrophysiological and structural remodeling of the atria seem to play an important role in the arrhythmia transition from paroxysmal to persistent. However, the time course of the atrial remodeling along onward episodes of non-induced paroxysmal AF has not been investigated yet. In this work, a non-invasive method, based on the regularity estimation of AF through sample entropy (SampEn), has been used to assess the organization evolution along onward episodes of paroxysmal AF. Given that AF organization has been associated to the number of existing wavelets wandering throughout the atrial tissue, SampEn could be considered as a concomitant estimator of atrial remodeling. The achieved results, in close agreement with previous findings obtained from invasive recordings, showed a progressive disorganization increase along onward episodes of AF for 63% of the analyzed patients and a stable AF organization degree in the remaining 37%. Additionally, a positive correlation between episode duration and SampEn was also noticed (R = 0.541, p < 0.01). As a consequence, it could be considered that atrial electrophysiological dynamics that occur along onward paroxysmal AF episodes are reflected and can be quantified from ECG recordings through non-invasive organization estimation.
Authors:
Raúl Alcaraz; Fernando Hornero; José J Rieta
Related Documents :
22301606 - Structural changes of the heart during severe sepsis or septic shock.
25372906 - Idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy: computerized anatomic study of relashionship between...
6883416 - Influence of chlorpromazine on lysosomal alterations during myocardial ischaemia.
25197326 - Arrhythmias in complex congenital heart disease.
10444036 - Air pollution and cause-specific mortality in milan, italy, 1980-1989.
18456206 - Catheter ablation of bundle branch reentrant ventricular tachycardia.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article; Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Conference proceedings : ... Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. Annual Conference     Volume:  2011     ISSN:  1557-170X     ISO Abbreviation:  Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc     Publication Date:  2011  
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2012-01-18     Completed Date:  2012-06-12     Revised Date:  2014-08-21    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  101243413     Medline TA:  Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc     Country:  United States    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  1467-70     Citation Subset:  IM    
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Algorithms*
Atrial Fibrillation / classification,  diagnosis*
Diagnosis, Computer-Assisted / methods*
Electrocardiography, Ambulatory / methods*
Humans
Pattern Recognition, Automated / methods*
Reproducibility of Results
Sensitivity and Specificity

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Improved entropy rate estimation in physiological data.
Next Document:  Electropathological substrate detection of persistent atrial fibrillation--a novel method to analyze...