Document Detail


Non-vital immature permanent incisors: factors that may influence treatment outcome.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  10825839     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
This study examines the treatment of non-vital immature permanent incisors using the calcium hydroxide apexification technique. The objectives of the present study were to determine the speed and location of barrier formation and those factors discernible at presentation and during treatment which may be related to it. Forty-four non-vital immature incisors undergoing calcium hydroxide apexification were reviewed in detail. All cases were reviewed every 8-12 weeks for up to 18 months, or until apexification occurred. Details of the time and nature of the injuries and treatment were recorded. The degree of apical development prior to treatment was assessed, and barrier formation, location and time were noted. Mean time to barrier formation was 34.2 weeks (range 13-67 weeks). The strongest predictor of rapid barrier formation was the rate of change of calcium hydroxide and a barrier also formed more rapidly in cases with narrower initial apical width. There was evidence of displacement and a higher mean time for barrier formation in half of the cases. The presence of an abscess was the weakest predictor of rapid barrier formation and the effect was not significant (P = 0.280). The barrier was located at the apex in 28 cases (63.6%) and the distance from the barrier to the apex for the remaining 16 (36.4%) varied from 1 mm to 5 mm. The number of placements of calcium hydroxide varied from 1 to 4 with a mean of 1.9, and there was a higher mean number of calcium hydroxide placements in the cases where the barrier was located at the apex.
Authors:
D Finucane; M J Kinirons
Related Documents :
8688659 - Interruption of breast feeding caused by the presence of neonatal teeth.
9497689 - A new method for treating weeping canals: clinical and histopathologic study.
6592529 - The so-called eruption sequestrum.
11989379 - Hypodontia: etiology, clinical features, and management.
17559459 - Multiple supernumerary teeth in the maxillary canine and mandibular premolar regions: a...
8760839 - Orthodontic treatment of an open bite patient with oral-facial-digital syndrome.
18949959 - Bicanalicular silicone tubes versus otologic t-tubes in endonasal dacryocystorhinostomy.
16638379 - Acrokeratosis paraneoplastica (bazex syndrome): case report and review of literature.
9288279 - Tinnitus treatment by transcutaneous nerve stimulation (tns).
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Endodontics & dental traumatology     Volume:  15     ISSN:  0109-2502     ISO Abbreviation:  Endod Dent Traumatol     Publication Date:  1999 Dec 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2000-06-05     Completed Date:  2000-06-05     Revised Date:  2004-11-17    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8508054     Medline TA:  Endod Dent Traumatol     Country:  DENMARK    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  273-7     Citation Subset:  D    
Affiliation:
Department of Paediatric Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Queen's University of Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Analysis of Variance
Calcium Hydroxide
Dentin, Secondary / drug effects,  growth & development*
Humans
Incisor / drug effects*,  pathology
Root Canal Therapy
Time Factors
Tooth Apex / drug effects*,  physiology
Tooth Injuries / complications,  therapy
Tooth, Nonvital / etiology,  pathology,  therapy*
Chemical
Reg. No./Substance:
1305-62-0/Calcium Hydroxide

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Inflammatory and replacement resorption in reimplanted permanent incisor teeth: a study of the chara...
Next Document:  The diagnostic accuracy of microbiologic root canal sampling and the influence of antimicrobial dres...