Document Detail


Nitrogen origins and the role of ozonation in the formation of haloacetonitriles and halonitromethanes in chlorine water treatment.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  23153098     Owner:  NLM     Status:  Publisher    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Nitrogenous disinfection byproducts (N-DBPs) such as haloacetonitriles (HANs) and halonitromethanes (HNMs) are formed during water chlorination. Preozonation is sometimes applied to control trihalomethane (THM) formation, but this may risk promoting the formation of HNMs and HANs. The role of ozone in the formation of HANs and HNMs in natural waters remains unclear. The nitrogen sources involved in HAN and HNM formation during the chloramination of dissolved organic matter (DOM) with and without preozonation were evaluated using 15N-labeled monochloramine. The origin of the nitrogen involved in HAN formation was found to depend on the ratio of dissolved organic carbon to nitrogen. In nitrogen-rich solutions HAN nitrogen was mainly from DOM constituents. The formation of 15N-labeled dichloroacetontrile (DCAN) accounted for approximately 30% of the DCAN produced from all hydrophilic acidic and neutral isolates, which have low carbon to nitrogen ratios, while it reached over 50% for the hydrophobic acidic, basic and neutral isolates with high carbon to nitrogen ratios. Unlabeled trichloronitromethane (TCNM) accounted for over 90% of the total TCNM produced from most of the isolates. The remaining less than 10% of the TCNM was probably generated through an aldehyde pathway. Preozonation reduced DCAN but enhanced the yield of TCNM. The destruction of amino acids and amine structures and subsequent formation of nitro groups by preozonation may help explain the reduced DCAN and increased TCNM formation.
Authors:
Xin Yang; Chii Shang; Qianqian Shen; Baiyang Chen; Paul Westerhoff; Jinfeng Peng; Wanhong Guo
Related Documents :
17243738 - Nanosized paclitaxel particles from supercritical carbon dioxide processing and their b...
22947598 - Functionalization of carbon nanotubes by water plasma.
16882548 - The brain targeting efficiency following nasally applied mpeg-pla nanoparticles in rats.
23872788 - Synthesis, surface properties, and biocompatibility of 1,2,3-triazole-containing alkyl ...
20127328 - Water challenges for geologic carbon capture and sequestration.
17243738 - Nanosized paclitaxel particles from supercritical carbon dioxide processing and their b...
Publication Detail:
Type:  JOURNAL ARTICLE     Date:  2012-11-15
Journal Detail:
Title:  Environmental science & technology     Volume:  -     ISSN:  1520-5851     ISO Abbreviation:  Environ. Sci. Technol.     Publication Date:  2012 Nov 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2012-11-16     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0213155     Medline TA:  Environ Sci Technol     Country:  -    
Other Details:
Languages:  ENG     Pagination:  -     Citation Subset:  -    
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  An English Translation of Joseph Luc Riopelle, MD, (Hôtel-Dieu of Montréal), and Jean Paul Théria...
Next Document:  Prevalence and risk factors of gastroesophageal reflux symptoms in a Chinese retiree cohort.