Document Detail


Neonatal and maternal outcomes in twin gestations > or =32 weeks according to the planned mode of delivery.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  16260335     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
OBJECTIVE: To determine a possible relationship between neonatal and maternal outcomes in twin gestations and the planned mode of delivery. STUDY DESIGN: A single-centre retrospective cohort study in twins > or =32 weeks of gestational age was performed. Baseline characteristics, and neonatal and maternal outcomes were documented according to the planned mode of delivery: a planned caesarean section or a planned vaginal birth. Statistical analysis was performed using chi-square test. Fisher exact test was used in case correction was needed. RESULTS: During the study period (1999-2002), 164 twins > or =32 weeks were enrolled in the study. In 29 women (17.7%) an elective caesarean section was performed. The remaining 135 twins (82.3%) were allowed to start a vaginal delivery. An emergency or an urgent secondary caesarean section for both twins was performed in 26 women, and in 2 women for twin B only. One twin B baby died during planned vaginal delivery. No significant differences in perinatal mortality and serious neonatal morbidity were found between both groups (10.3% versus 9.6%). Neonatal outcomes in twins A were significantly better than in twins B (2.4% versus 7.3%), independent of the planned mode of delivery. Serious maternal morbidity was not significantly different between both groups (13.8% versus 19.3%), although 2 women in the elective caesarean section group needed a relaparotomy for haemorrhage. CONCLUSION: Our results do not support an elective caesarean section for twin gestations > or =32 weeks. The success rate of vaginal delivery in the planned vaginal birth group was nearly 80%.
Authors:
Kim M J Haest; Frans J M E Roumen; Jan G Nijhuis
Related Documents :
11169295 - Thermocoagulation for selective reduction of conjoined twins at 12 weeks of gestation.
6141095 - Relative birth weight in twins.
11111065 - Medical and economic effects of twin gestations.
17254425 - The swedish young male twins study: a resource for longitudinal research on risk factor...
9107455 - Thrombophlebitis and varicosis syndrome in pregnancy.
12176675 - Serum osteoprotegerin/osteoclastogenesis-inhibitory factor during pregnancy and lactati...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article; Twin Study    
Journal Detail:
Title:  European journal of obstetrics, gynecology, and reproductive biology     Volume:  123     ISSN:  0301-2115     ISO Abbreviation:  Eur. J. Obstet. Gynecol. Reprod. Biol.     Publication Date:  2005 Nov 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2005-11-01     Completed Date:  2006-02-07     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0375672     Medline TA:  Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol     Country:  Ireland    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  17-21     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Atrium Medical Centre Heerlen, The Netherlands. zipphaest@nutsonline.nl
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adult
Cesarean Section / psychology,  trends
Cohort Studies
Delivery, Obstetric / methods*
Female
Gestational Age
Humans
Infant Mortality
Infant, Newborn
Morbidity
Pregnancy
Pregnancy Outcome
Pregnancy, Multiple* / statistics & numerical data
Retrospective Studies
Twins*

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  A pilot study on the transfer of 137Cs and 90Sr to horse milk and meat.
Next Document:  Is epidural analgesia a risk factor for occiput posterior or transverse positions during labour?