Document Detail


Myomectomy at caesarean section: descriptive study of clinical outcome in a tropical setting.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  21067013     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
BACKGROUND: In the tropics, leiomyoma are commonly encountered in women of the reproductive age group, although they are mostly asymptomatic. Surgery for uterine fibroid at caesarean section has remained controversial.
OBJECTIVE: To analyse the clinical outcome of women that had selective caesarean myomectomy in a community teaching hospital.
METHOD: Twenty-two women that had selective myomectomy at caesarean section between January 2002 and October 2007 were analysed.
RESULTS: The patients mean age was 31.5 years with age range of 27-44 years. Of the 22 patients, 16 (72.7%) were primigravida, 19 (86.4%) of the patients had caesarean section at term, 2 (9.1%) and 1 (4.5%) ofthe patients were preterm and post term respectively. A significant number of the patients (16/22, 72.7%) had elective caesarean section and the remaining 6 (27.3%) patients had emergency caesarean section. The 3 leading indications for caesarean section among the patients were malpresentation/abnormal lie 36.4%, uterine fibroids 18.2%, and a previous caesarean section with complication in 13.6% ofthe patients. Indications for myomectomy at caesarean section were fibroid in lower uterine segment in 15 (68.2%) patients, pedunculated uterine fibroid in 4 (18.2%) patients and anterior subserous fibroid in 3 (13.6%) patients. Intraopertively in the 22 patients, 10 (45.5%) had fibroid(s) removed only in the lower uterine segment; while 6 (27.3%) patients each, had it removed in the upper uterine segment and both upper and lower uterine segments respectively. A total of 46 fibroids were removed in the 22 patients, of which 24 (52.2%) were subserous/pedunculated, 16 (34.8%) intramural and 6 (13.0%) were submucous. Of the 46 fibroids, 32 (69.9%) were between 6 to 10 cm size. Sixteen (72.2%) of the 22 patients lost between 751 to 1000 ml of blood intraoperatively with an average of 806.8 ml of blood loss. Two (9.1%) of the 22 patients had blood transfusion due to anaemia. Other complications encountered were puerperal pyrexia and sepsis in 2 (9.1%) patients, and fracture of the humerus and clavicle of the baby in 1 (2.3%) patient. There was no maternal and perinatal mortality.
CONCLUSION: Selection of patients for caesarean myomectomy reduces blood loss, anaemia and other complications.
Authors:
Adesiyun Adebiyi Gbadebo; Ameh A Charles; Ojabo Austin
Related Documents :
8153683 - General anaesthesia vs sedation for minor gynaecological procedures--a comparative study.
1976553 - Breech vaginal delivery after one cesarean section: a retrospective study.
18042613 - Peritoneal thickening is not inevitable in long-term peritoneal dialysis and is associa...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Journal of Ayub Medical College, Abbottabad : JAMC     Volume:  21     ISSN:  1025-9589     ISO Abbreviation:  J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad     Publication Date:    2009 Oct-Dec
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2010-11-11     Completed Date:  2011-01-04     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8910750     Medline TA:  J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad     Country:  Pakistan    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  7-9     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Obstetrics Gynaecology Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital, Shika-Zaria, Nigeria. biyi.adesiyun@yahoo.com
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adult
Blood Loss, Surgical / prevention & control
Blood Transfusion / statistics & numerical data
Cesarean Section*
Female
Humans
Leiomyoma / surgery*
Middle Aged
Pregnancy
Pregnancy Complications, Neoplastic / urine*
Uterine Neoplasms / surgery*

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Knowledge, attitudes and practices regarding human immunodeficiency virus/acquired immune deficiency...
Next Document:  Response rates to standard interferon treatment in HCV genotype 3a.