Document Detail


Modeling of CSF Dynamics: Legacy of Professor Anthony Marmarou.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  22116414     Owner:  NLM     Status:  In-Data-Review    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
The mathematical model of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) pressure volume compensation, introduced by Anthony Marmarou in 1973 and modified in later studies, provides a theoretical basis for differential diagnosis in hydrocephalus. The Servo-Controlled Constant Pressure Test (Umea, Sweden) and Computerised Infusion Test (Cambridge, UK) are based on this model and are designed to compensate for inadequate accuracy of estimation of both the resistance to CSF outflow and elasticity of CSF pressure volume compensation.Dr. Marmarou's further works introduced the pressure volume index (PVI), a parameter used to describe CSF compensation in hydrocephalic children and adults. A similar technique has been also utilized in traumatic brain injury (TBI).The presence of a vascular component of intracranial pressure (ICP) was a concept proposed in the 1980s. Marmarou demonstrated that only around 30% of cases of elevated ICP in patients with TBI could be explained by changes in CSF circulation. The remaining 70% of cases should be attributable to vascular components, which have been proposed as equivalent to raised brain venous pressure.Professor Marmarou's work has had a direct impact in the field of contemporary clinical neurosciences, and many of his ideas are still being investigated actively today.
Authors:
Marek Czosnyka; Zofia Czosnyka; Kiran J Agarwal-Harding; John D Pickard
Related Documents :
21658884 - Effect of carotid sinus nerve blockade on hemodynamic stability during carotid endarter...
3396974 - Use of ferrokinetics in the follow-up of patients with polycythaemia vera.
22925584 - Design and validation of the grip-ball for measurement of hand grip strength.
7077394 - Scintigraphic measurement of left-ventricular volumes from the count-density distribution.
25097514 - Blood pressure levels and prognosis of intracranial trauma patients with cognitive dysf...
21289644 - Left atrial diameter, flow-mediated dilation of brachial artery and target organ damage...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Acta neurochirurgica. Supplement     Volume:  113     ISSN:  0065-1419     ISO Abbreviation:  Acta Neurochir. Suppl.     Publication Date:  2012  
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2011-11-25     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  100962752     Medline TA:  Acta Neurochir Suppl     Country:  Austria    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  9-14     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Neurosurgical Unit, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK, mc141@medschl.cam.ac.uk.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Fifth International Hydrocephalus Workshop, Crete, Greece, May 20-23, 2010: themes and highlights.
Next Document:  Ethical considerations in hydrocephalus research that involves children and adults.