Document Detail


Medial vs lateral wall pyriform sinus carcinoma: implications for management of regional lymphatics.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  7960736     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
BACKGROUND: Our purpose in performing this review is to analyze the relationship between the anatomic site of hypopharyngeal lesions and the pattern of recurrent disease, particularly cervical recurrence. This clinical information can subsequently be used to influence treatment options. METHODS: The records of 169 patients with carcinoma of the hypopharynx treated between 1975 and 1986 were reviewed retrospectively. Patients were classified as having medial wall pyriform sinus disease (MP) lesions, lateral wall pyriform sinus (LP) lesions, posterior wall (PW), or postcricoid (PC) lesions. All patients were followed a minimum of 36 months. Patients with evidence of recurrent carcinoma were characterized according to the site of recurrence. RESULTS: Recurrent carcinoma in the hypopharynx was noted in seven (4%) of 169 patients. Cervical metastases was the sole site of failure in 27 (16%) of 69 patients, whereas distant metastases developed in 25 (15%) of 169 patients. Failure in the contralateral unoperated neck occurred in 14% (10/71) of patients with MP lesions and, in contrast, 5% (4/76) LP patients. This difference was statistically significant (p = 0.04). Radiotherapy was not effective in preventing cervical recurrence in 20 (74%) of 27 overall neck failures and 11 (79%) of 14 contralateral NO neck failures. CONCLUSION: These data suggest that patients with carcinoma involving the MP are at greater risk for contralateral cervical metastases. We recommend bilateral neck dissection be offered to patients with MP lesions.
Authors:
J T Johnson; G W Bacon; E N Myers; R L Wagner
Related Documents :
19813046 - Comparison of the bath ankylosing spondylitis radiology index and the modified stoke an...
9584006 - Extraspinal causes of sciatica. a case report.
22442746 - Small bowel capsule endoscopy in patients with cardiac pacemakers and implantable cardi...
17630136 - Epidemiology of indications and contraindications to total disc replacement in an acade...
11547956 - Decrease of neurons in the medullary arcuate nucleus in myotonic dystrophy.
24169946 - Relevant bleeding diathesis due to acquired factor xiii deficiency.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article; Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Head & neck     Volume:  16     ISSN:  1043-3074     ISO Abbreviation:  Head Neck     Publication Date:    1994 Sep-Oct
Date Detail:
Created Date:  1994-12-21     Completed Date:  1994-12-21     Revised Date:  2010-03-24    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8902541     Medline TA:  Head Neck     Country:  UNITED STATES    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  401-5     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pennsylvania.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adult
Aged
Aged, 80 and over
Carcinoma / pathology*,  radiotherapy,  surgery
Cause of Death
Combined Modality Therapy
Female
Follow-Up Studies
Head and Neck Neoplasms / pathology,  secondary*
Humans
Hypopharyngeal Neoplasms / pathology*,  radiotherapy,  surgery
Lymph Node Excision
Lymphatic Metastasis / pathology*
Male
Middle Aged
Neoplasm Recurrence, Local / pathology*
Neoplasm Staging
Pharyngeal Neoplasms / pathology*,  radiotherapy,  surgery
Retrospective Studies
Survival Rate
Treatment Failure

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Ophthalmoplegic migraine-like syndrome due to pituitary apoplexy.
Next Document:  Laryngectomy alone for T3 glottic cancer.