Document Detail


Management of pericentral arteriovenous malformations.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  10235007     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Pericentral arteriovenous malformations (AVMs) have more often been deemed inoperable lesions because of their complexity, owing to their critical locations and dismal outcome. This study discusses the management of this group of patients with a variety of treatments which includes surgery, nidus embolization, and radiosurgery. Out of 89 patients treated for AVMs in our institute over a period of 30 months (1992 through May 1995), we present a case series of 34 patients who had AVMs located in the pericentral region. All the treated AVMs were Spetzler and Martin grade III (6 patients), grade IV (13 patients), and grade V (15 patients). The neurological outcome remained, normal or improved from baseline in 68% of patients following treatments; of the remaining 32%, 19% remained in the same condition (with continuing preoperative deficits) and 10% showed some deterioration from their pretreatment condition. Thus 87% were unchanged or improved after the treatment regime. There was a 3% mortality (one patient who died as result of initial hemorrhage) in the series. Our multimodality treatment for this group of AVMs confirms the efficacy of the practiced strategies for their management. The results derived from the experience with this selected group of patients with AVMs lead us to recommend treating these patients with multimodality regimen rather than awaiting the natural history of the disease in the best interest of the patients.
Authors:
J I Ausman; F T Charbel; G M Debrun; M Misra; V Aletich; H Shownkeen
Related Documents :
19123887 - Definition of the key target volume in radiosurgical management of arteriovenous malfor...
20433277 - A prospective, multicenter, randomized trial of the onyx liquid embolic system and n-bu...
12924697 - Dose-volume prediction of radiation-related complications after proton beam radiosurger...
10799727 - Long-term cardiac mortality following radiation therapy for hodgkin's disease: analysis...
24435207 - Efficacy of silodosin in patients undergoing brachytherapy: a randomized trial involvin...
10831267 - Efficacy of octreotide and sclerotherapy in the treatment of acute variceal bleeding in...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Neurologia medico-chirurgica     Volume:  38 Suppl     ISSN:  0470-8105     ISO Abbreviation:  Neurol. Med. Chir. (Tokyo)     Publication Date:  1998  
Date Detail:
Created Date:  1999-09-08     Completed Date:  1999-09-08     Revised Date:  2004-11-17    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0400775     Medline TA:  Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo)     Country:  JAPAN    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  208-16     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Illinois, Chicago, USA.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adolescent
Adult
Arteriovenous Malformations / radiography,  therapy*
Cerebral Angiography
Cerebral Arteries / abnormalities*,  radiography,  surgery*
Embolization, Therapeutic
Female
Humans
Male
Middle Aged
Radiosurgery
Treatment Outcome

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Microsurgical resection of incompletely obliterated intracranial arteriovenous malformations followi...
Next Document:  Successful resection of arteriovenous malformations in eloquent areas diagnosed by surface anatomy s...