Document Detail


Maladaptive choice behaviour by pigeons: an animal analogue and possible mechanism for gambling (sub-optimal human decision-making behaviour).
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  20943686     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Consistent with human gambling behaviour but contrary to optimal foraging theory, pigeons showed maladaptive choice behaviour in experiment 1 by choosing an alternative that provided on average two food pellets over an alternative that provided a certain three food pellets. On 20 per cent of the trials, choice of the two-pellet alternative resulted in a stimulus that always predicted ten food pellets; on the remaining 80 per cent of the trials, the two-pellet alternative resulted in a different stimulus that always predicted zero food pellets. Choice of the three-pellet alternative always resulted in three food pellets. This choice behaviour mimics human monetary gambling in which the infrequent occurrence of a stimulus signalling the winning event (10 pellets) is overemphasized and the more frequent occurrence of a stimulus signalling the losing event (zero pellets) is underemphasized, compared with the certain outcome associated with not gambling (the signal for three pellets). In experiment 2, choice of the two-pellet alternative resulted in ten pellets with a probability of 20 per cent following presentation of either stimulus. Choice of the three-pellet alternative continued to result in three food pellets. In this case, the pigeons reliably chose the alternative that provided a certain three pellets over the alternative that provided an average of two pellets. Thus, in experiment 1, the pigeons were responding to obtain the discriminative stimuli signalling reinforcement and the absence of reinforcement, rather than to obtain the variability in reinforcement.
Authors:
Thomas R Zentall; Jessica Stagner
Related Documents :
7190996 - Some relations between classically conditioned aggression and conditioned suppression i...
16811516 - Second-order schedules with fixed-ratio components: variation of component size.
3580106 - Prediction and control of food rewards modulate endogenous pain inhibitory systems.
9679306 - Temporal search as a function of the variability of interfood intervals.
24565706 - Food-induced anaphylaxis among commercially insured us adults: patient concordance with...
12807266 - Regulation of veterinary antibiotics in australia.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article; Research Support, N.I.H., Extramural     Date:  2010-10-13
Journal Detail:
Title:  Proceedings. Biological sciences / The Royal Society     Volume:  278     ISSN:  1471-2954     ISO Abbreviation:  Proc. Biol. Sci.     Publication Date:  2011 Apr 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2011-03-14     Completed Date:  2011-07-08     Revised Date:  2014-03-25    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  101245157     Medline TA:  Proc Biol Sci     Country:  England    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  1203-8     Citation Subset:  IM    
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Animals
Choice Behavior*
Columbidae / physiology*
Gambling*
Reward
Grant Support
ID/Acronym/Agency:
HD060 996/HD/NICHD NIH HHS
Comments/Corrections

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Mite dispersal among the Southern Ocean Islands and Antarctica before the last glacial maximum.
Next Document:  How within-group behavioural variation and task efficiency enhance fitness in a social group.