Document Detail


Longitudinal strain predicts left ventricular mass regression after aortic valve replacement for severe aortic stenosis and preserved left ventricular function.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  23180240     Owner:  NLM     Status:  Publisher    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
We explored the influence of global longitudinal strain (GLS) measured with two-dimensional speckle-tracking echocardiography on left ventricular mass regression (LVMR) in patients with pure aortic stenosis (AS) and normal left ventricular function undergoing aortic valve replacement (AVR). The study population included 83 patients with severe AS (aortic valve area <1 cm(2)) treated with AVR. Bioprostheses were implanted in 58 patients (69.8 %), and the 25 remaining patients (30.2 %) received mechanical prostheses. Peak systolic longitudinal strain was measured in four-chamber (PLS(4ch)), two-chamber (PLS(2ch)), and three-chamber (PLS(3ch)) views, and global longitudinal strain was obtained by averaging the peak systolic values of the 18 segments. Median follow-up was 66.6 months (interquartile range 49.7-86.3 months). At follow-up, values of PLS(4ch), PLS(2ch), PLS(3ch), and GLS were significantly lower (less negative) in patients who did not show left ventricular (LV) mass regression (all P < 0.001). Baseline global strain was the strongest predictor of lack of LVMR (odds ratio 3.5 (95 % confidence interval 3.0-4.9), P < 0.001), and GLS value ≥-9.9 % predicted lack of LVMR with 95 % sensitivity and 87 % specificity (P < 0.001). Other multivariable predictors were the preoperative LV mass value (cutoff value ≥147 g/m(2), P < 0.001), baseline effective orifice area index (cutoff ≤0.35 cm(2)/m(2), P = 0.01), and baseline mean gradient (cutoff ≥58 mmHg, P = 0.01). Finally, we failed to find interactions between GLS and other significant parameters (all P < 0.05). Global longitudinal strain accurately predicts LV mass regression in patients with pure AS undergoing AVR. Our findings must be confirmed by further larger studies.
Authors:
Sandro Gelsomino; Fabiana Lucà; Orlando Parise; Roberto Lorusso; Carmelo Massimiliano Rao; Enrico Vizzardi; Gian Franco Gensini; Jos G Maessen
Publication Detail:
Type:  JOURNAL ARTICLE     Date:  2012-11-21
Journal Detail:
Title:  Heart and vessels     Volume:  -     ISSN:  1615-2573     ISO Abbreviation:  Heart Vessels     Publication Date:  2012 Nov 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2012-11-26     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8511258     Medline TA:  Heart Vessels     Country:  -    
Other Details:
Languages:  ENG     Pagination:  -     Citation Subset:  -    
Affiliation:
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University Hospital, Maastricht, The Netherlands, sandro.gelsomino@libero.it.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Acute hyperglycemia reduces myocardial blood flow reserve and the magnitude of reduction is associat...
Next Document:  Percutaneous balloon valvuloplasty for bioprosthetic mitral valve stenosis.