Document Detail


Long-term ranitidine treatment for the maintenance of duodenal ulcer healing.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  6317594     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
The purpose of the present trial was to verify the efficacy and safety of long-term ranitidine treatment (150 mg at bedtime for 1 year) for the maintenance of duodenal ulcer healing in 22 patients following a successful short-term course of therapy with ranitidine at the full dose of 300 mg per day. Of the 16 patients who completed the trial - there were 6 drop-outs - 4 suffered relapses during the year of treatment (25% cumulative recurrence rate), while remission persisted in the remaining 12 patients (75%). Biochemical tests revealed no statistically significant differences in mean fasting serum pepsinogen and trypsinogen as compared to mean basal values. Mean fasting serum gastrin showed a statistically significant rise from 156 +/- 27 S.D. to 258 +/- 110 S.D. pg/ml (p less than 0.01) only at the 12th month of therapy and rapidly returned to normal (162 +/- 34 S.D.) as soon as therapy was discontinued. No side-effects of any consequence were observed.
Authors:
L Lombardo; G M Babando; M De La Pierre; G Masoero; C Sategna-Guidetti; P Imarisio; A Di Napoli
Related Documents :
2148984 - Omeprazole and ranitidine in duodenal ulcer healing. analysis of comparative clinical t...
11480494 - Safety and efficacy of long term esomeprazole therapy in patients with healed erosive o...
18375894 - Phase iii randomized placebo-controlled trial of two doses of megestrol acetate as trea...
2902494 - Effect of cimetidine on survival after gastric cancer.
18078394 - Fanhdi, efficacy and safety in von willebrand's disease: prospective international stud...
21819544 - Human acellular matrix graft of tunica albuginea for penile reconstruction.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  International journal of tissue reactions     Volume:  5     ISSN:  0250-0868     ISO Abbreviation:  Int J Tissue React     Publication Date:  1983  
Date Detail:
Created Date:  1984-02-24     Completed Date:  1984-02-24     Revised Date:  2004-11-17    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8302116     Medline TA:  Int J Tissue React     Country:  SWITZERLAND    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  323-8     Citation Subset:  IM    
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adult
Aged
Duodenal Ulcer / drug therapy*
Female
Humans
Male
Middle Aged
Ranitidine / administration & dosage,  therapeutic use*
Chemical
Reg. No./Substance:
66357-35-5/Ranitidine

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Membrane-bound ATP-dependent energy systems and gastric cytoprotection by prostacyclin, atropine and...
Next Document:  Infections in organ transplant recipients.