Document Detail


Long-term evaluation (12 to 22 years) of open heart surgery for tetralogy of Fallot.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  6447995     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Four hundred seventy-five patients underwent repair of tetralogy of Fallot from 1955 to 1964; 396 of these were hospital survivors and were followed up for 12 to 22 years. An excellent late clinical result was maintained by 87 percent of the 396 hospital survivors. A less than excellent result in the remaining 13 percent of hospital survivors was caused by late mortality in 7 percent (sudden death in 3 percent, death due to cardiac causes in 2 percnt and death due to noncardiac causes in 2 percent), required reoperation in 4 percent (mainly because of residual ventricular septal defect) and development of symptoms in 2 percent. Postoperative cardiomegaly (cardiothoracic ratio greater than 0.55) was observed in 60 (25 percent) of 246 patients who had a follow-up chest roentgenogram, and was more common among those who died late or remained symptomatic. Among the few patients with inadequate surgical relief of right ventricular hypertension who did not have transanular patch repair, the hypertension did not tend to decrease progressively, whereas it did decrease in patients who had patch repair. No late sudden deaths were encountered in 20 patients shown to have postoperative right bundle branch block plus left axis deviation (bifascicular block pattern). Pulmonary valve incompetence appeared to have relatively little harmful influence on the late result, causng cardiac disability in 1 percent of the patients and appeared to be the main contributing factor of postoperative cardiomegaly in 13 (5 percent) of the 246 patients who had a follow-up chest roentgenogram. Most late deaths and complicatins appeared within 2 years of operation, and accelerating deterioration in late results did not occur as the follow-up extended beyond 2 decades.
Authors:
V Fuster; D C McGoon; M A Kennedy; D G Ritter; J W Kirklin
Related Documents :
24648475 - Successful weaning from mechanical ventilation in a patient with surfactant protein c d...
20300275 - Transcatheter device closure of ruptured sinus of valsalva: immediate results and short...
18490365 - Is early primary repair for correction of tetralogy of fallot comparable to surgery aft...
3178355 - Aortopulmonary window in the first year of life: report on 11 surgical cases.
12073195 - Neuroprotection is associated with beta-adrenergic receptor antagonists during cardiac ...
23804395 - Analysis of outcomes in treatment of obstructive sleep apnea in infants.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  The American journal of cardiology     Volume:  46     ISSN:  0002-9149     ISO Abbreviation:  Am. J. Cardiol.     Publication Date:  1980 Oct 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  1980-11-24     Completed Date:  1980-11-24     Revised Date:  2004-11-17    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0207277     Medline TA:  Am J Cardiol     Country:  UNITED STATES    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  635-42     Citation Subset:  AIM; IM    
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Cardiomegaly / etiology
Death, Sudden / etiology
Electrocardiography
Female
Follow-Up Studies
Heart Ventricles / physiopathology
Humans
Long-Term Care
Male
Postoperative Complications
Pregnancy
Pulmonary Valve Insufficiency / etiology
Pulmonary Valve Stenosis / etiology
Tetralogy of Fallot / mortality,  surgery*
Time Factors

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Clinicopathological study of the heart and coronary arteries of autopsied cases from the community o...
Next Document:  Cupular secretion by Xenopus laevis line organs: autoradiographic evidence for incorporation of 3H-g...