Document Detail


Laser arterial disobstructive procedures in 148 lower extremities.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  2527317     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Preoperative arteriographic findings in immediate postoperative results as well as follow-up studies of treatment with argon and YAG lasers have been evaluated in 148 lesion found in 137 patients. Preoperative arteriography revealed a solitary lesion in 42 of 148 legs (28%) examined, and a combined lesion was found in the remaining 106 legs (72%). Incapacitating intermittent claudication, rest pain, tissue loss, or a combination of these was an indication for laser arterial reconstruction. None of the argon laser-treated lesions was treated with balloon dilatation, but since March 1988 all appropriate YAG laser-treated lesions were immediately followed by laser-assisted balloon angioplasty. The lesions in 64 of 89 legs (72%) treated by argon and 42 of 59 (71%) treated by YAG were successfully recanalized. However, successful angioplasty was performed in 44 of 89 (49%) and 34 of 59 (58%) lesions, respectively. The recanalization depended on the type of lesion (tight stenosis vs occlusion) and the length of lesion (localized vs total-length occlusion). However, the success rate of recanalization was almost the same as the success rate when both laser systems were used. Argon laser treatment proved successful in 19 of 20 (95%) segmental occlusions in popliteal arteries, whereas YAG laser treatment proved successful in four of five (80%) short segmental (less than 15 cm) occlusions of superficial femoral arteries and in 16 of 23 (70%) long segmental (greater than or equal to 15 cm) occlusions of superficial femoral arteries. In 26 of 36 (72%) total-length occlusions of superficial femoral and popliteal arteries, recanalization was not possible (p less than 0.001).(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)
Authors:
T Matsumoto; T Okamura; V Rajyaguru
Related Documents :
8416337 - Parallel angioplasty dilatation catheter and guide wire: a new technique for the dilata...
22012037 - Ischemia-modified albumin in type 2 diabetic patients with and without peripheral arter...
7953387 - Percutaneous transluminal angioplasty of the tibial arteries.
8960617 - Local changes in the plasma endothelin level in the coronary artery immediately after p...
10912317 - When is an aortic valve prosthesis too small? the need for dobutamine stress echocardio...
500297 - Anatomical basis of radiodiagnosis of the adrenal gland.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Journal of vascular surgery     Volume:  10     ISSN:  0741-5214     ISO Abbreviation:  J. Vasc. Surg.     Publication Date:  1989 Aug 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  1989-09-08     Completed Date:  1989-09-08     Revised Date:  2012-10-03    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8407742     Medline TA:  J Vasc Surg     Country:  UNITED STATES    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  169-77     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Surgery, Hahnemann University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19102-1192.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adult
Aged
Aged, 80 and over
Aluminum Silicates
Angioplasty, Balloon*
Argon
Arterial Occlusive Diseases / therapy*
Arteriosclerosis / therapy
Calcinosis / therapy
Constriction, Pathologic / therapy
Female
Follow-Up Studies
Graft Occlusion, Vascular / therapy
Humans
Laser Therapy*
Leg / blood supply*
Male
Middle Aged
Yttrium
Chemical
Reg. No./Substance:
0/Aluminum Silicates; 7440-37-1/Argon; 7440-65-5/Yttrium

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Prophylactic closed suction drainage of femoral wounds in patients undergoing vascular reconstructio...
Next Document:  Abdominal aortic aneurysm infected with Campylobacter fetus subspecies fetus.