Document Detail


Klippel-Trenaunay-Weber syndrome involving fetal thigh: prenatal presentations and outcomes.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  16832837     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
OBJECTIVES: We analyzed the prenatal presentations and perinatal outcomes of Klippel-Trenaunay-Weber syndrome involving fetal thigh in order to provide relevant information for prenatal counseling. METHODS: We reviewed our own cases and searched for cases from Medline that met the criteria of Klippel-Trenaunay-Weber syndrome involving fetal thigh. Those with isolated hemangioma, hemangioendothelioma, and hemangiolymphangioma were excluded. RESULTS: The cases of Klippel-Trenaunay-Weber syndrome involving fetal thigh, totaling 21, were collected for analysis. These included 19 cases from Medline search and two cases from our institution. The cases with lesions involving right thigh, left thigh, and both thighs were 12:8:1. The gender of affected fetuses was 9 male, 9 female, and 3 unknown. Among the 21 cases, 6 fetuses (28.57%, 6/21) had isolated thigh lesions, and the other 15 cases (71.43%, 15/21) had extensive lesions involving pelvis, abdomen, retroperitoneum, or thorax. Prenatal presentations varied with hypoechoic cystic mass with limb asymmetry, 95.23% (20/21); polyhydramnios, 38.09% (8/21); cardiomegaly, 19.04% (4/21); thick placenta, 9.52% (2/21); nonimmune hydrops fetalis, 9.52% (2/21); and oligohydramnios, 4.76% (1/21). Ten cases (47.62%, 10/21) underwent termination of pregnancy. For those who continued with pregnancy, the rate of complications with Kasabach-Merritt syndrome was 36.36% (4/11) and the mortality rate in the neonatal period was 45.45% (5/11). The causes of neonatal mortality in these five cases included consumption coagulopathy (Kasabach-Merritt syndrome), cardiac failure, sepsis, and prematurity. CONCLUSIONS: Klippel-Trenaunay-Weber syndrome involving fetal thigh is rare. Our review showed that the location of involvement on the right thigh is more than on the left. Males and females were equally affected. Nearly three fourths of the cases had extensive involvement over other parts of the body. Prenatal ultrasound finding of a raised thigh mass of significant size and limb asymmetry were the most important features. The mortality rate was as high as 45.45% in the neonatal period.
Authors:
Hsiu-Huei Peng; Tzu-Hao Wang; An-Shine Chao; Yao-Lung Chang; Shin-Chih Shieh; Shuenn-Dyh Chang
Related Documents :
9344057 - A male with fetal valproate syndrome and autism.
12533807 - Second trimester diagnosis of neu laxova syndrome.
14738117 - Second polar body inclusion results in diploid/triploid mixoploidy.
19129707 - Craniorachischisis totalis: a case report and review of the literature.
21094467 - Dural repair with four spinal sealants: focused review of the manufacturers' inserts an...
10334397 - Case report of fibromuscular dysplasia presenting as stroke in a 16-year-old boy.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Case Reports; Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Prenatal diagnosis     Volume:  26     ISSN:  0197-3851     ISO Abbreviation:  Prenat. Diagn.     Publication Date:  2006 Sep 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2006-09-04     Completed Date:  2006-12-28     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8106540     Medline TA:  Prenat Diagn     Country:  England    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  825-30     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Lin-ko Medical Center, Tao-Yuan, Taiwan.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Abortion, Eugenic
Adult
Female
Femur / abnormalities
Genetic Counseling
Humans
Klippel-Trenaunay-Weber Syndrome / complications,  ultrasonography*
Male
Pregnancy
Pregnancy Outcome
Prenatal Diagnosis*
Thigh* / ultrasonography
Ultrasonography, Prenatal

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  p51/p63, a novel p53 homologue, potentiates p53 activity and is a human cancer gene therapy candidat...
Next Document:  Study of different atmospheric-pressure interfaces for LC-MS/MS determination of acrylamide in water...