Document Detail


Ischemic time as a predictor of physical recovery in the first months after heart transplantation.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  22778997     Owner:  NLM     Status:  PubMed-not-MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Functional results after heart transplantation range from modest to spectacular improvement. Little is known about factors to predict functional result. This study aimed to identify these factors. We present a prospective study including all consecutive transplant recipients (n = 55) in a two-year period whose survival was greater than two months. Perioperative, donor, and recipient issues were systematically analyzed. Exercise capacity was assessed by symptom-limited treadmill exercise testing two months after transplantation. Exercise capacity was classified as satisfactory or poor depending on achieving or not 4.5 METs (metabolic equivalents), respectively. Thirty-three patients (60%) showed a good exercise capacity (>4.5 METs), whereas the remaining twenty-two patients (40%) were unable to exceed this threshold. The variables which correlated with exercise capacity in univariate analysis were recipient age, inotropic treatment, ischemic time, ventricular assist device, etiology, urgent transplant, and INTERMACS score. Among them only recipient age and ischemic time were proved to be correlated with exercise capacity in the multiple regression analysis. Thus, younger patients and those who had received an organ with shorter ischemic time showed greater exercise capacity after transplant. These findings strengthen the trend toward reducing ischemic time as much as possible to improve both survival and clinical recovery.
Authors:
Francisco Buendía-Fuentes; Luis Almenar-Bonet; Luis Martínez-Dolz; Ignacio Sánchez-Lázaro; María Rodríguez-Serrano; Diana Domingo-Valero; María José Sancho-Tello de Carranza; Antonio Salvador-Sanz
Related Documents :
8179507 - Metabolism of [3h]-noradrenaline in human dental pulp in vitro.
11213237 - Adenosine and chronic ischemia of the lower limbs.
11567657 - Ischemic preconditioning, the most effective gastroprotective intervention: involvement...
2448057 - Beneficial effects of iloprost in the stunned canine myocardium.
24406707 - Stiffness, pain, and hip muscle strength are factors associated with self-reported phys...
15211017 - Rate of perceived exertion as a tool to monitor cycling exercise intensity in older adu...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article     Date:  2012-06-18
Journal Detail:
Title:  ISRN cardiology     Volume:  2012     ISSN:  2090-5599     ISO Abbreviation:  ISRN Cardiol     Publication Date:  2012  
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2012-07-10     Completed Date:  2012-08-23     Revised Date:  2012-09-26    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  101566293     Medline TA:  ISRN Cardiol     Country:  Egypt    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  907102     Citation Subset:  -    
Affiliation:
Heart Failure and Transplant Unit, La Fe University Hospital, Boulevar Sur S/N, 46026 Valencia, Spain.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Comments/Corrections

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  High-Bandpass Filters in Electrocardiography: Source of Error in the Interpretation of the ST Segmen...
Next Document:  Treatment options for metaplastic breast cancer.