Document Detail


Invasive prenatal diagnostic techniques.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  16533654     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
As aneuploid screening evolves to the first trimester a complimentary diagnostic procedure becomes increasingly important. Chorionic villus (CVS) sampling has emerged as the only safe invasive prenatal diagnostic procedure prior to the 14(th) week of gestation. Over 2 decades of experience have demonstrated the accuracy, efficacy and safety of CVS. The karyotype is identical to that of the fetus in over 98% of cases. In the remaining 1 to 2% confined placental mosaicism (CPM) occurs. Current knowledge of the etiology of CPM allows accurate clinical interpretation, the recognition of cases of fetal uniparental disomy, and identification of pregnancies at risk for poor perinatal outcome. Prospective comparative studies have demonstrated that with equally experienced operators, CVS and second trimester amniocentesis have similar procedure induced miscarriage rates. When CVS procedures are performed after 10 weeks gestation, no increased risk of fetal anomalies has been demonstrated.
Authors:
Ronald J Wapner
Related Documents :
23324304 - Fetal skin possesses the ability to regenerate completely: complete regeneration of skin.
19292094 - The prenatal detection of jeune syndrome (asphyxiating thoracic dystrophy). case report.
10820404 - Prenatal diagnosis of beta-thalassaemia in pakistan: experience in a muslim country.
2178414 - Incidence and timing of pregnancy losses: relevance to evaluating safety of early prena...
23054544 - Immigrants present improved obstetric and neonatal outcomes compared to native women. a...
24242634 - Follow-up survey of pregnancies with diagnoses of chromosomal abnormality.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article; Review    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Seminars in perinatology     Volume:  29     ISSN:  0146-0005     ISO Abbreviation:  Semin. Perinatol.     Publication Date:  2005 Dec 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2006-03-14     Completed Date:  2006-08-18     Revised Date:  2007-11-15    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  7801132     Medline TA:  Semin Perinatol     Country:  United States    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  401-4     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY 10032, USA. rw2191@columbia.edu
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Aneuploidy
Chorionic Villi Sampling / adverse effects
Congenital Abnormalities / epidemiology,  etiology
Female
Gestational Age*
Humans
Karyotyping
Mosaicism
Placenta
Pregnancy
Pregnancy Outcome
Pregnancy Trimester, First
Prenatal Diagnosis / adverse effects*,  methods*
Sensitivity and Specificity

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  First trimester screening for Down syndrome in multiple pregnancy.
Next Document:  Additional benefits of first trimester screening.