Document Detail


Intratesticular varicocele: gray scale and color Doppler sonographic appearance.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  16301727     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
OBJECTIVE: The purpose of this study was to evaluate the gray scale and color Doppler appearances of intratesticular varicocele (ITV) in a relatively large series of men and to compare the findings with those previously reported. METHODS: Fifteen ITVs found in 12 men referred for sonographic examination of a variety of scrotal conditions were retrospectively evaluated. Review of the side, location, shape, and diameter of the dilated veins, the presence of an extratesticular varicocele (ETV), and the color Doppler appearance of the ITV before and during the Valsalva maneuver was performed. RESULTS: Seven (47%) of 15 ITVs were located in the left testis, 2 (13%) in the right, and 3 (20%) bilateral. Eighty-six percent of the ITVs were associated with an ipsilateral ETV. The locations of the ITVs were subcapsular in 60% of the cases and within or near the mediastinum of the testis in 40%. The shapes of the ITVs were tubular in 46%, oval in 27%, and both tubular and oval in the remaining 27%. Color Doppler imaging showed spontaneous flow in 60% of cases, whereas in the remaining 40%, the blood flow could be seen only after the Valsalva maneuver. CONCLUSIONS: Intratesticular varicocele is a rare condition with a variable clinical and sonographic appearance. It is usually associated with ETV. It occurs in the left, right, or both testes and may be subcapsular or mediastinal in location. The prevalence of a subcapsular location of ITVs in this series was by far higher than previously mentioned in the literature. The Valsalva maneuver plays a very important role in the diagnosis of ITV because in almost half of cases, the flow will not show up spontaneously.
Authors:
Ada Kessler; Shmuel Meirsdorf; Moshe Graif; Paul Gottlieb; Simon Strauss
Related Documents :
20466097 - Urogenital nonunion--a rare anomaly associated with the undescended testis.
16381377 - Torsion of the greater omentum: preoperative computed tomographic diagnosis and therape...
2665287 - Testicular plasmacytoma.
12623157 - Nasogastric tube misplacement into eustachian tube.
18174837 - Superficial punctate fluorescein staining of the ocular surface.
21397387 - Acute thoracic epidural hematoma following spinal manipulative therapy: case report and...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Case Reports; Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Journal of ultrasound in medicine : official journal of the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine     Volume:  24     ISSN:  0278-4297     ISO Abbreviation:  J Ultrasound Med     Publication Date:  2005 Dec 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2005-11-22     Completed Date:  2006-02-09     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8211547     Medline TA:  J Ultrasound Med     Country:  United States    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  1711-6     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Division of Ultrasound, Department of Diagnostic Imaging, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, 6 Weizmann St, Tel Aviv 64239, Israel. kesslera@tasmc.health.gov.il
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adult
Aged
Humans
Male
Middle Aged
Rare Diseases / ultrasonography
Reproducibility of Results
Retrospective Studies
Sensitivity and Specificity
Testicular Diseases / ultrasonography*
Testis / blood supply*,  ultrasonography*
Ultrasonography, Doppler, Color / methods*
Varicocele / ultrasonography*

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Magnetic resonance imaging of the kinked fetal brain stem: a sign of severe dysgenesis.
Next Document:  Eicosapentaenoic acid (20:5 n-3) increases fatty acid and glucose uptake in cultured human skeletal ...