Document Detail


Intrapartum performance of patients presenting with diabetes mellitus in pregnancy.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  19349728     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
OBJECTIVE: To investigate the intrapartum performance of pregnancies complicated by diabetes mellitus (DM). SUBJECTS AND METHODS: A pilot study (April-June 2005) of medical records of patients with DM admitted into the labour wards of the Maternity Hospital, Kuwait, was undertaken. Consecutive patients, matched for age and parity with the study group and with no medical complications, admitted for induction of labour during the study period served as the control. The ethnicity, obstetric/medical history and antenatal course of the index pregnancy were extracted. The intrapartum, postpartum and the neonatal outcome were documented. Statistical analysis was performed using chi(2) and alternative Welch t tests. RESULTS: During the study period, 3,005 patients were delivered at the hospital, and 177 of these (the study population) presented with DM, an incidence of 5.9%. Another 177 patients admitted for induction of labour served as the control. Of the 177 study patients, 86 (48.6%) were Kuwaitis, and the remaining 91 (51.4%) were non-Kuwaitis, of whom 41 were Arabs (23.2%), 34 Indians (19.2%), and 16 Asians (9%). Of the controls, 65 (36.7%) and 112 (63.3%) were Kuwaitis and non-Kuwaitis, respectively. Of the 177 study patients, 128 (72.3%) presented with gestational DM. The significant complications were pregnancy-induced hypertension (13, 7.3%) and premature rupture of membranes (14, 7.9%). The incidence of caesarean section in the study population (58, 32.8%) was significantly higher than that of the controls (35, 19.8%; p = 0.008). Although the mean gestational ages at delivery in both groups were comparable (p = 0.669), the mean birth weight in the study group was significantly higher, 3.315 +/- 0.605 vs. 3.160 +/- 0.594 kg (p = 0.012). The neonatal complications in the diabetic patients were shoulder dystocia (4, 2.3%) and Erb's palsy (12, 1.1%); there were more perinatal deaths (3) in the control group. CONCLUSION: The incidence of DM was high, and the rate of caesarean section significant. The maternal and neonatal morbidity were high. A prospective study is recommended for enhanced management guidelines.
Authors:
Michael F Diejomaoh; Madhu Gupta; Rasheda Farhat; Jiri Jirous; Manal Al-Jaber; Asiya T Mohd
Related Documents :
15898 - The effect of indomethacin in labour at term.
889748 - Characteristics of normal labour among different racial groups in malaysia.
7556818 - Influence of epidural analgesia on fetal and neonatal well-being.
9034478 - Denied pregnancy.
6790308 - Peripheral concentrations of gonadotropins and progestins during pregnancy in rabbits a...
21914778 - Implication of low level inflammation in the insulin resistance of adipose tissue at la...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article     Date:  2009-04-06
Journal Detail:
Title:  Medical principles and practice : international journal of the Kuwait University, Health Science Centre     Volume:  18     ISSN:  1423-0151     ISO Abbreviation:  Med Princ Pract     Publication Date:  2009  
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2009-04-07     Completed Date:  2009-08-04     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8901334     Medline TA:  Med Princ Pract     Country:  Switzerland    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  233-8     Citation Subset:  IM    
Copyright Information:
Copyright 2009 S. Karger AG, Basel.
Affiliation:
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Kuwait. michaeldiejo@hotmail.com
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adolescent
Adult
Case-Control Studies
Cesarean Section / utilization
Diabetes Complications / epidemiology
Diabetes Mellitus, Type 1 / epidemiology*
Diabetes Mellitus, Type 2 / epidemiology*
Diabetes, Gestational / epidemiology*
Ethnic Groups
Female
Humans
Kuwait / epidemiology
Middle Aged
Pilot Projects
Pregnancy
Pregnancy Complications / epidemiology
Pregnancy Outcome / epidemiology*
Pregnancy in Diabetics / epidemiology*
Risk Factors
Young Adult

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Impairment in flow-mediated vasodilatation of the brachial artery in acromegaly.
Next Document:  Granulomatous inflammatory response in a case of typhoid fever.