Document Detail


Intraoperative Injection of Botulinum Toxin A into Orbicularis Oculi Muscle for the Treatment of Crow's Feet.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  11242328     Owner:  NLM     Status:  Publisher    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
The purpose of this investigation was to evaluate the degree of efficacy of eliminating crow's feet by means of direct injection of botulinum toxin A into orbicularis oculi muscles under direct surgical vision during either blepharoplasty or face lift operations. Eighteen patients were injected with Botox A-14 in each orbicularis oculi muscle. Dilution was obtained by adding 4 ml of preservative-free saline to 100 IU of Botox A. Doses ranged from 15 to 50 IU in each muscle, varying according to the severity of wrinkles and intensity of muscle contraction. In 10 patients (56 percent), the Botox was injected throughout the outer surface of both orbicularis oculi dissected during a face-lift operation. In eight other patients (44 percent), the toxin was injected into the inner surface of both orbicularis oculi exposed during classic blepharoplasty procedures. Most authors have demonstrated that the effect produced by transcutaneous Botox lasts between 4 and 6 months; the paralysis obtained by direct muscular injection was effective for 9 months in 14 patients (78 percent) and 10 months in the other 4 patients (22 percent). Results were documented by means of preinjection and postinjection photographs, videotapes, and electromyographs. Neither local nor general adverse effects were noted. The improvement obtained in crow's feet was satisfactory to the patient and to us. The use of Botox intraoperatively permitted at the same time not only the treatment of crow's feet by paralysis of orbicularis oculi muscles but also the correction of senile changes in the lids and face by means of either blepharoplasty or face-lift operations.
Authors:
Jorge O. Guerrissi
Related Documents :
14871168 - Primary blepharospasm: diagnosis and management.
526708 - Contractures elicited by tetraethylammonium in avian muscle treated with methohexitone.
11768708 - Treatment of postparotidectomy salivary fistula with botulinum toxin.
22288008 - Creatine-kinase- and exercise-related muscle damage implications for muscle performance...
11001768 - Glut-3 expression in human skeletal muscle.
19165498 - Insights into the kinetics of ca2+-regulated contraction and relaxation from myofibril ...
Publication Detail:
Type:  JOURNAL ARTICLE    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Plastic and reconstructive surgery     Volume:  104     ISSN:  1529-4242     ISO Abbreviation:  Plast. Reconstr. Surg.     Publication Date:  2000 May 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2001-Mar-9     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  1306050     Medline TA:  Plast Reconstr Surg     Country:  -    
Other Details:
Languages:  ENG     Pagination:  2219-2225     Citation Subset:  -    
Affiliation:
Department of Plastic Surgery, Argerich Hospital.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  From clinical trials to real-world practice: use of atypical antipsychotic medication nationally in ...
Next Document:  Acute Burns.