Document Detail


Integrin beta-3 L33P: a new insight into the pathogenesis of chronic oxaliplatin-induced peripheral neuropathy?
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  20192979     Owner:  NLM     Status:  In-Process    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
AIM: To assess the significance of the ITGB3 polymorphism at residue 33 (ITGB3 L33P) in the development of chronic oxaliplatin-induced peripheral neuropathy (OXLIPN).
METHODS: Fifty-five patients with advanced colorectal cancer were genotyped, using allele-specific primers and sybr green in real-time PCR. Patients had received adjuvant oxaliplatin-based chemotherapy. The severity of the OXLIPN was defined by means of the clinical total neuropathy score (TNSc). Following the discontinuation of treatment, 34/55 patients (61.8%) developed OXLIPN. Grade I neurotoxicity was revealed in 13 (38.2%) patients and grade II neurotoxicity in 21 (61.8%) patients.
RESULTS: Patients without OXLIPN (n = 21) were 19% homozygous for C, 33.3% were heterozygous, and 47.7% were homozygous for T. The corresponding percentages for patients developing any grade of OXLIPN (n = 34) were similar. About half of patients (46.1%) with grade I OXLIPN were heterozygotes (CT), 23.1% were CC, and 30.8% were TT. The majority of patients with grade II OXLIPN were TT (66.7%) with the remaining 33.3% being CT. The TT genotype was associated with increased severity of OXLIPN compared to the genotypes containing the C allele (P = 0.044).
CONCLUSION: The ITGB3 L33P seems to be unrelated to the development of OXLIPN, but it appears to be related to its severity.
Authors:
A G Antonacopoulou; A A Argyriou; C D Scopa; A Kottorou; A Kominea; S Peroukides; H P Kalofonos
Related Documents :
8187679 - An electromyographic evaluation of motor complications in thoracic herpes zoster.
10654739 - Nerve decompression at the wrist in patients with charcot-marie-tooth disease.
7180419 - Late sequelae of iatrogenic damage to chorda tympani nerve.
21389969 - Warfarin-related nephropathy occurs in patients with and without chronic kidney disease...
3799249 - Bilateral microsurgical lysis of the spinal accessory nerve roots for treatment of spas...
2157819 - Peripheral nerve functions in chronic alcoholic patients on disulfiram: a six month fol...
22291739 - Angiogenin and sdf-1α serum concentration in patients with systemic sclerosis in relat...
22664639 - Impact of synergistic polymorphisms in adrenergic receptor-related genes and cardiovasc...
3044909 - Do skin tags constitute a marker for colonic polyps? a prospective study of 100 asympto...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article     Date:  2010-02-23
Journal Detail:
Title:  European journal of neurology : the official journal of the European Federation of Neurological Societies     Volume:  17     ISSN:  1468-1331     ISO Abbreviation:  Eur. J. Neurol.     Publication Date:  2010 Jul 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2010-07-20     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  9506311     Medline TA:  Eur J Neurol     Country:  England    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  963-8     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Medicine-Division of Clinical Oncology, University Hospital of Patras, Rion-Patras, Greece.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Autonomic symptoms in patients and pre-manifest mutation carriers of Huntington's disease.
Next Document:  The interleukin-1 cluster gene region is associated with multiple sclerosis in an Italian Caucasian ...