Document Detail


[Initial situation and approach to the care of migraine in neurology services in Spain. The PRIMERA study].
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  23143958     Owner:  NLM     Status:  In-Data-Review    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
INTRODUCTION. Despite the high degree of disability it entails, many patients with migraine have never visited their doctor for this reason. It is necessary to conduct a study to examine the characteristics of first-time visits as a step that must be carried out prior to establishing specific intervention measures for this group of patients. AIM. To determine the profile of the patients with migraine who visit a neurology service for the first time, together with the diagnostic and therapeutic attitudes that neurologists display towards them. PATIENTS AND METHODS. We conducted a cross-sectional, multi-centre study of neurology services across the country. The research included 168 neurologists who recruited 851 patients (74.6% females; mean age: 34.0 ± 10.7 years). Disability was assessed by means of the specific migraine questionnaire (Headache Impact Test) and the generic disability questionnaire (Sheehan Disability Scale). RESULTS. A third (66.5%) of the patients went for consultation following their doctor's advice, while the remaining 33.5% went on their own accord. Only 55.9% had been previously diagnosed with migraine. The main reasons for visiting were ineffective symptomatic treatment (25%) and an increase in the frequency or intensity of the attacks (23.4%). Although 70.3% of the patients had high disability scores on the Headache Impact Test, only 17.4% used specific treatment and only 13.3% were on preventive treatment. CONCLUSIONS. The PRIMERA study confirms, once again, that migraine is an under-diagnosed and under-treated condition in our setting, which means that specific educational interventions and training are still required for this pathology.
Authors:
V Mateos; J Porta-Etessam; S Armengol-Bertolin; C Larios; M Garcia; En Representacion de Los Investigadores Del Estudio Primera En Representacion de Los Investigadores Del Estudio Primera
Publication Detail:
Type:  English Abstract; Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Revista de neurologia     Volume:  55     ISSN:  1576-6578     ISO Abbreviation:  Rev Neurol     Publication Date:  2012 Nov 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2012-11-12     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  7706841     Medline TA:  Rev Neurol     Country:  Spain    
Other Details:
Languages:  spa     Pagination:  577-84     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Centro Medico de Asturias, Oviedo, Espana.
Vernacular Title:
Situacion de partida y abordaje asistencial de la migrana en las consultas de neurologia de Espana. Estudio PRIMERA.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Synthesis and Structure-Property Relationships of 2,2'-Bis(benzo[b]phosphole) and 2,2'-Benzo[b]phosp...
Next Document:  [Processing speed in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: the role played by the depressive sympt...