Document Detail


Influence of treatment strategy on serum adiponectin, resistin and angiogenin concentrations in patients with stable multivessel coronary artery disease after one-year follow-up.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  21174281     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
BACKGROUND: Adiponectin and resistin, as well as the novel angiogenetic factor angiogenin, may be associated with inflammation and atherosclerosis. However, the available data are limited regarding adipocytokines and angiogenesis factors long-term serum concentration changes in patients with coronary artery disease (CAD).
AIM: To evaluate the treatment strategy-dependent changes in serum concentrations of adiponectin, resistin and angiogenin in patients with stable multivessel CAD (MCAD) and their association with cardiovascular events.
METHODS: The study group comprised 107 MCAD patients (80 males, mean age 63±8 years); 55 (51%) patients were treated surgically (coronary artery bypass grafting-CABG), while the other 52 (49%) were treated medically. Adiponectin, resistin and angiogenin plasma levels were measured on admission and after one-year follow-up. Major adverse cardiac events (MACE) were defined as cardiac death, non-fatal myocardial infarction, stroke or hospitalisation for angina or heart failure over the 12 month period.
RESULTS: During one-year follow-up, nine (8%) patients died, all from cardiovascular causes, and 34 (32%) patients experienced MACE. The CABG group revealed significant decrease in angiogenin (p<0.0001) and adiponectin (p=0.03) serum levels. In the medically treated group, we noted a significant reduction in the adiponectin serum concentration (p=0.003), with no change in resistin and angiogenin serum levels.
CONCLUSIONS: In stable patients with MCAD, the choice of treatment strategy (optimal medical therapy or surgery) influences cytokines profile and modifies serum concentration of angiogenin and adiponectin during 12 months of follow-up. Assessing the dynamic concentration changes of these novel biomarkers may be useful for clinical practice.
Authors:
Radosław Kręcki; Maria Krzemińska-Pakuła; Jan Zbigniew Peruga; Piotr Szcześniak; Piotr Lipiec; Daria Orszulak-Michalak; Jarosław Damian Kasprzak
Publication Detail:
Type:  Evaluation Studies; Journal Article; Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Kardiologia polska     Volume:  68     ISSN:  0022-9032     ISO Abbreviation:  Kardiol Pol     Publication Date:  2010 Dec 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2010-12-21     Completed Date:  2011-06-06     Revised Date:  2011-07-19    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0376352     Medline TA:  Kardiol Pol     Country:  Poland    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  1313-20     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
2nd Department of Cardiology, Medical University of Lodz, Biegański Hospital, Łódź, Poland. rkrecki@ptkardio.pl
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adiponectin / blood*
Aged
Biological Markers / blood
Coronary Artery Disease / blood*,  therapy*
Female
Follow-Up Studies
Humans
Male
Middle Aged
Resistin / blood*
Ribonuclease, Pancreatic / blood*
Time Factors
Treatment Outcome
Chemical
Reg. No./Substance:
0/Adiponectin; 0/Biological Markers; 0/Resistin; EC 3.1.27.-/angiogenin; EC 3.1.27.5/Ribonuclease, Pancreatic
Comments/Corrections
Comment In:
Kardiol Pol. 2010 Dec;68(12):1321-2   [PMID:  21174282 ]

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Sclerosing mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the salivary gland: Case report and literature review.
Next Document:  Chronotropic response during exercise and recovery in men with mild systolic chronic heart failure.