Document Detail


Individual decision making in relation to participation in cardiovascular screening: A study of revealed and stated preferences.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  23341353     Owner:  NLM     Status:  In-Data-Review    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Aims: The (cost-)effectiveness of a screening programme may be strongly influenced by the participation rate. The objective of this study was to compare participants' and non-participants' motives for the attendance decision as well as their overall preferences for participation in cardiovascular disease screening. Methods: This study sampled 1053 participants and 1006 non-participants from a screening trial and randomly allocated the participants to receive different levels of additional information about the screening programme. An ad hoc survey questionnaire about doubt and arguments in relation to the participation decision was given to participants and non-participants along with a contingent valuation task. Results: Among participants, 5% had doubt about participation and the most frequent argument was that they did not want the test result. Among non-participants, 40% would reconsider their non-participation decision after having received additional information while the remainder 60% stood by their decision and provided explicit arguments for it. After having received additional information the participants still valued the programme significantly higher than non-participants, but the difference was relatively small. Conclusions: Participants and non-participants in cardiovascular screening programmes seem to have different strengths of preferences, which signals that their behavioural choice is founded in rational thinking. Furthermore, it appears that additional information and a second reflection about the participation decision may affect a substantial proportion of non-participants to reverse their decision, a finding that should receive policy interest.
Authors:
Rikke Søgaard; Jes Lindholt; Dorte Gyrd-Hansen
Related Documents :
10680753 - Amygdala, hippocampus and discriminative fear conditioning to context.
17241153 - Fear acquisition requires awareness in trace but not delay conditioning.
24885623 - Chronic bickerstaff's encephalitis with cognitive impairment, a reality?
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Scandinavian journal of public health     Volume:  41     ISSN:  1651-1905     ISO Abbreviation:  Scand J Public Health     Publication Date:  2013 Feb 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2013-01-23     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  100883503     Medline TA:  Scand J Public Health     Country:  Sweden    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  43-50     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
1CAST, Institute of Public Health, University of Southern Denmark, Denmark.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Targeting of the signal transducer Smo links microRNA-326 to the oncogenic Hedgehog pathway in CD34(...
Next Document:  Social differences in self-reported health among men and women in 31 countries in Europe.