Document Detail


Increasing frequency of Gram-positive bacteria in spontaneous bacterial peritonitis.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  15698399     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
AIM: To evaluate the characteristics and possible recent changes of the microbial causes of spontaneous bacterial peritonitis (SBP) in cirrhotic patients. METHODS: We retrospectively evaluated 42 cirrhotic patients with positive ascitic fluid culture and without evidence of secondary peritonitis who were admitted consecutively to our Department between 1998 and 2002. RESULTS: Twenty (48%) of 42 patients with positive ascitic fluid culture were diagnosed during 1998-1999 (period A) and the remaining 22 (52%) patients during 2000-2002 (period B). Gram-negative bacteria were the cause of SBP in 15 (75%) of the 20 patients during period A and in only nine (41%) of the 22 patients during period B (P=0.026). SBP patients with Gram-positive bacteria compared with those with Gram-negative bacteria were less frequently in Child class C (P=0.058) and had significantly higher ascitic fluid protein (P=0.014) and albumin concentrations (P=0.009) and lower ascitic fluid neutrophil count (P=0.008). Resistance to quinolones was detected significantly more frequently in the isolated Gram-positive than Gram-negative bacteria (P<0.001). CONCLUSION: Culture-positive SBP in cirrhotic patients are caused more frequently by Gram-positive bacteria during the recent years, which are, in their vast majority, resistant to quinolones.
Authors:
Evangelos Cholongitas; George V Papatheodoridis; Alexandros Lahanas; Anna Xanthaki; Chrysoula Kontou-Kastellanou; Athanasios J Archimandritis
Related Documents :
10453949 - Effect of transcatheter arterial chemoembolization on kidney hemodynamics and function ...
20216319 - Hemodynamic effects of chronic smoking in liver cirrhosis: a role for adrenomedullin.
19210289 - Intestinal decontamination improves liver haemodynamics in patients with alcohol-relate...
7176839 - Prednisone treatment of chronic liver disease. i. chronic aggressive hepatitis as a the...
19578489 - Antibody arrays identify potential diagnostic markers of hepatocellular carcinoma.
6484809 - Amino acid clearance and prognosis in surgical patients with cirrhosis.
7158179 - Experience with 100 consecutive anterior mediastinotomies in lung cancer.
8750279 - Allogenic peripheral blood stem cell (pbsc) transplantation in two patients with graft ...
24251309 - Scintigraphy with (99m)tc(v)-dmsa in monitoring patients with inflammatory bowel disease.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Liver international : official journal of the International Association for the Study of the Liver     Volume:  25     ISSN:  1478-3223     ISO Abbreviation:  Liver Int.     Publication Date:  2005 Feb 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2005-02-08     Completed Date:  2005-05-26     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  101160857     Medline TA:  Liver Int     Country:  England    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  57-61     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
2nd Department of Internal Medicine, Hippokration General Hospital, Athens University School of Medicine, 115 27 Athens, Greece.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Aged
Anti-Infective Agents / pharmacology,  therapeutic use
Ascites / etiology,  microbiology
Drug Resistance, Bacterial
Female
Gram-Negative Bacterial Infections / complications,  drug therapy,  pathology
Gram-Positive Bacteria / drug effects,  isolation & purification*,  physiology
Gram-Positive Bacterial Infections / complications*,  drug therapy,  pathology
Humans
Liver Cirrhosis / complications*,  pathology
Male
Middle Aged
Peritonitis / microbiology*,  pathology
Quinolones / pharmacology,  therapeutic use
Chemical
Reg. No./Substance:
0/Anti-Infective Agents; 0/Quinolones

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Hyperhomocysteinaemia in chronic liver diseases: role of disease stage, vitamin status and methylene...
Next Document:  Hepatocellular carcinoma--survival and clinical characteristics in relation to various histologic mo...