Document Detail


Hypertensive acute pulmonary oedema as expression of diastolic heart failure.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  19284087     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
In part of hypertensive acute pulmonary oedema patients we can determine normal ejection fraction (EF) after remission of symptomatology and pulmonary congestion. In most cases echocardiography is performed after the disappearance of pulmonary oedema (APO). METHODS: Echocardiography was performed in standard views. The EF was measured by area-length monoplane method in apical 4-chamber and 2-chamber view, the final figure being an arithmetical mean of the two values. Measurement of the EF was made during APO and immediately after disappearance of symptoms and pulmonary congestion. Color, pulsed and continued Doppler were used for quantification of mitral regurgitation in apical 4-chamber and 2-chamber view. RESULTS: The study included 61 patients with hypertensive APO, with systolic blood pressure (BP) >160 mmHg. From the total, 37 (60.65%) were men and 24 (39.34%) female and the mean age was 65.02 +/- 12.17 years. The systolic blood pressure (SBP) during APO was 196.97 +/- 18.89 mmHg and after treatment 132.38 +/- 11.78 with significant statistical power (p < 0.0001), with 95% confidence interval from -71.083 to -57.553. EF during APO (EF-APO) was 49.84 +/- 10.7 and after disappearance of symptomatology and pulmonary congestion (EF-nonAPO) it was 48.9 +/- 8.47. The distribution of EF values per patients is illustrated in the figure below. The values of EF-APO are significantly correlated with EF-nonAPO values (p < 0.0001, r2 = 0.9093, alpha=0.05). The linear regression of EF values during and after APO is significant (r2=0.91) and statistical significant slope (p < 0.0001, F=590). Decrease of blood pressure and remission of hypertensive APO did not alter significantly the EF in the same patient. From all patients, 27 had systolic heart failure (44.26%) after APO remission, the rest of 34 (55.74%) had EF-nonAPO >50%. From these patients with normal EF after APO remission, 31 (91.17%) also had normal EF-APO during hypertensive APO. None of these studied patients displayed significant acute mitral regurgitation during APO. CONCLUSIONS: Our study showed similar EF during APO and after remission of APO in patients with hypertensive APO. Normal EF in patients after remission of hypertensive APO is pointing, with good probability, to the fact that APO was due to transitory isolated diastolic heart failure because transient systolic heart failure or/and severe mitral regurgitation were rare in these patients.
Authors:
I St Gyalai-Korpos; Mirela Tomescu; Antoanela Pogorevici
Related Documents :
6860007 - Hemodynamic effects of intraaortic administration of protamine.
8244657 - Continuous therapy with intravenous prostacyclin for primary pulmonary hypertension: a ...
15176557 - Cardiopulmonary haemodynamic changes after severe head injury.
4068607 - Right ventricular function in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
11558817 - Comparison of the additive intraocular pressure-lowering effect of latanoprost and dorz...
12147187 - Arterial baroreflex function in conscious rats.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Romanian journal of internal medicine = Revue roumaine de médecine interne     Volume:  46     ISSN:  1220-4749     ISO Abbreviation:  Rom J Intern Med     Publication Date:  2008  
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2009-03-16     Completed Date:  2009-04-23     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  9304507     Medline TA:  Rom J Intern Med     Country:  Romania    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  153-7     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
V. Babeş University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Cardiology Clinic, City Hospital, Timişoara, Romania.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Acute Disease
Aged
Cohort Studies
Female
Heart Failure, Diastolic / complications*,  diagnosis*,  physiopathology
Humans
Hypertension / complications*,  physiopathology,  ultrasonography
Male
Middle Aged
Pulmonary Edema / etiology*,  physiopathology,  ultrasonography
Retrospective Studies
Risk Factors
Stroke Volume

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  A new prediction score for myocardial infarction: MINF SCORE.
Next Document:  Genetic testing for multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2.