Document Detail


How refractory is refractory epilepsy? Patterns of relapse and remission in people with refractory epilepsy.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  21724372     Owner:  NLM     Status:  Publisher    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
BACKGROUND: Outcome studies in people with epilepsy have largely focused on the prognosis in the early stages and factors predictive of early remission. Few studies have examined prognosis in chronic refractory epilepsy. METHODS: We determined the pattern of remission and relapse of epilepsy in a cohort of people with refractory epilepsy (seizures in the past two years, at least five years after onset and who have been treated with at least 2 appropriate antiepileptic drugs during that time) to investigate whether any clinical or demographic features are predictive of seizure patterns. Seizure patterns were defined as intermittent (at least one previous period of remission of two or more years with a subsequent relapse) or continuous (no periods of remission of two years or more since seizure onset). We correlated clinical variables with these patterns. We devised a prognostic model summarising patterns of remission and relapse over time in epilepsy. RESULTS: 290 people were recruited, of whom 70% had a continuous pattern of seizures with the remaining 30% having an intermittent pattern. The only clinical variables which significantly differed between the two groups were a higher total number of antiepileptic drugs taken by those in the continuous group (P=0.01) and fewer seizures in the previous year in the intermittent group (P<0.001). A prognostic model of epilepsy is proposed. CONCLUSION: There is considerable heterogeneity in long-term seizure patterns in people who do not enter long-term remission in the early years after diagnosis.
Authors:
Aidan Neligan; Gail S Bell; Josemir W Sander; Simon D Shorvon
Publication Detail:
Type:  JOURNAL ARTICLE     Date:  2011-7-2
Journal Detail:
Title:  Epilepsy research     Volume:  -     ISSN:  1872-6844     ISO Abbreviation:  -     Publication Date:  2011 Jul 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2011-7-4     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8703089     Medline TA:  Epilepsy Res     Country:  -    
Other Details:
Languages:  ENG     Pagination:  -     Citation Subset:  -    
Copyright Information:
Copyright © 2011. Published by Elsevier B.V.
Affiliation:
Department of Clinical & Experimental Epilepsy, UCL Institute of Neurology, Queen Square, London, WC1N 3BG, United Kingdom.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Impact of noise structure and network topology on tracking speed of neural networks.
Next Document:  Sleep correlates of cognition in early course psychotic disorders.