Document Detail


How does clinical diagnosis of mycobacterial adenitis correlate with histological findings?
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  18085129     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
OBJECTIVE: To describe and compare histopathological findings with clinical criteria in diagnosis of TB adenitis. METHODS: Lymph node biopsies were obtained from 213 patients. Specimens were processed for culture and histopathologic examination, using standard methods. One hundred blocks with good preservation of tissue morphology were selected for detailed histological examination. RESULTS: About 75% of 213 patients had granulomas. In the remaining 25%, neither histopathological nor microbiological evidence of mycobacterial disease was found. Of 100 blocks selected for detailed examination, 79 blocks had granulomatous changes. The granulomas were well organised in 24%, mixed in 33%, and poorly organised in 43%. Langhans giant cells and acid-fast bacilli were observed in 88.6% and 21.5% of the 79 blocks, respectively. Cultured specimens were positive in about 10% of 79 biopsy specimens. CONCLUSIONS: Histological evidence of mycobacterial disease was only found in three quarters of patients that were clinically diagnosed and started on empirical treatment for tuberculous adenitis. Neither histological nor mycobacteriological evidence was found in a quarter of the patients who were already on treatment for TB, basing on clinical criteria. These findings call for new research on simple diagnostic tools for patients who seek care for s ymptoms of extra-pulmonary TB.
Authors:
S G M Mfinanga; L Sviland; H Chande; T Mustafa; O Mørkve
Related Documents :
4000619 - The direct approach to posterior mediastinal masses by fine-needle biopsy.
22807609 - Retrograde-viewing device improves adenoma detection rate in colonoscopies for surveill...
12093339 - Recent experience with preoperative fine-needle aspiration biopsy of thyroid nodules in...
2995239 - Pilot study of cervical cytology screening in a sexually transmitted diseases clinic.
24600529 - Terminalia arjuna in chronic stable angina: systematic review and meta-analysis.
1425049 - Retained mucosa after double-stapled ileal reservoir and ileoanal anastomosis.
10987869 - Minocycline-induced hyperpigmentation in patients with pemphigus and pemphigoid.
7013959 - Activity of indicine n-oxide in refractory acute leukemia.
2011159 - Dysphagia in patients with the post-polio syndrome.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article; Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't    
Journal Detail:
Title:  East African journal of public health     Volume:  4     ISSN:  0856-8960     ISO Abbreviation:  -     Publication Date:  2007 Oct 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2007-12-18     Completed Date:  2008-02-21     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  101302040     Medline TA:  East Afr J Public Health     Country:  Tanzania    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  47-50     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Centre for International Health, University of Bergen, Norway. gsmfinanga@yahoo.com
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adolescent
Adult
Biopsy
Child
Child, Preschool
Female
Granuloma / microbiology
Humans
Infant
Male
Tanzania / epidemiology
Tuberculosis, Lymph Node / epidemiology,  pathology*

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Pesticide poisoning.
Next Document:  Age at menarche, menstrual patterns, sexual health knowledge, attitudes and premarital sexual partne...