Document Detail


Higher pressure ulcer risk on intensive care? - Comparison between general wards and intensive care units.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  21385258     Owner:  NLM     Status:  Publisher    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Objective.  The objective of the study was to evaluate the effect of being treated in intensive care units in comparison with general hospital wards regarding pressure ulcer occurrence when controlled for various risk factors. Background.  Pressure ulcer occurrence is commonly used as an indicator for the quality of care. Large-scale incidence studies are costly and difficult to perform. Design.  Secondary analysis of patient data (n = 32,400) collected during 2002-2009 as part of eight multicentre pressure ulcer surveys in 256 German hospitals. Methods.  Ward-acquired pressure ulcer rate was used for the calculation of effect sizes as a surrogate parameter for pressure ulcer incidence. The SRISAG (surface, repositioning, immobility, shear forces, age, gender) logistic regression model was used to control for differences in case mix. Results.  Pressure ulcer prevention and intrinsic and extrinsic risk factors differ for patients from hospital wards compared with those from intensive care wards. The ward-acquired pressure ulcer rate in general hospital wards was 3·9% (1·5% excluding grade 1). In intensive care, the rate was 14·9% (8·5% excluding grade 1), which corresponds with an unadjusted odds ratio of 4·3 (95%CI 3·8-4·9). After the SRISAG model was applied, the odds ratio was reduced to 1·5 (CI 1·2-1·7). Conclusion.  When surface, repositioning, immobility, shear forces, age and gender are controlled for the institutional factor intensive care unit vs. general hospital wards is no longer a high-risk factor for the development of pressure ulcer. The SRISAG model is simple and can be used to compare the occurrence of pressure ulcer between different medical specialties. Relevance to clinical practice.  Application of this model allows more valuable comparison of the occurrence of pressure ulcer in different specialities and enables clinical practitioners and health care planners to use this outcome as an indicator for the quality of care to avoid confounding.
Authors:
Nils A Lahmann; Jan Kottner; Theo Dassen; Antje Tannen
Related Documents :
6886758 - Cardiovascular response to severe head injury.
3168478 - Pulmonary artery pressure changes in primary pulmonary hypertension after verapamil and...
17544888 - Mild hypercapnia after uncomplicated heart surgery is not associated with hemodynamic c...
6486488 - Hemodynamic effects of ketamine in children with congenital heart disease.
573448 - The role of the vagus nerves in the ventilatory response to lowered pao2 with intact an...
2063768 - Hemodynamic effects and tolerability of intravenous amiodarone in patients with impaire...
Publication Detail:
Type:  JOURNAL ARTICLE     Date:  2011-3-9
Journal Detail:
Title:  Journal of clinical nursing     Volume:  -     ISSN:  1365-2702     ISO Abbreviation:  -     Publication Date:  2011 Mar 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2011-3-9     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  9207302     Medline TA:  J Clin Nurs     Country:  -    
Other Details:
Languages:  ENG     Pagination:  -     Citation Subset:  -    
Copyright Information:
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Affiliation:
Authors: Nils A Lahmann, PhD, MScE, BA, RN, Research Fellow, Department of Nursing Science; Jan Kottner, PhD, MA, RN, Research Fellow, Department of Nursing Science; Theo Dassen, PhD, RN, Director, Department for Nursing Science; Antje Tannen, PhD, MPH, MA, RN, Research Fellow, Department of Nursing Science, Charité- Universitätsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  An online survey of nurses' perceptions of spirituality and spiritual care.
Next Document:  Recruitment and consent of women with intellectual disabilities in a randomised control trial of a h...