Document Detail


High macrolide resistance in Streptococcus pyogenes strains isolated from children with pharyngitis in China.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  19360846     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
OBJECTIVES: To assess the macrolide resistance, phenotype, and genotypic characterization of Streptococcus pyogenes isolated from Chinese children with pharyngitis. METHODS: Minimal inhibitory concentration (MIC) with nine antibiotics was determined on 188 isolates of S. pyogenes collected from outpatients with pharyngitis in four children's hospitals in different regions of China in 2007. MICs of penicillin, chloramphenicol, cefradine, levofloxacin, macrolide (erythromycin, clarithromycin, azithromycin,), clindamycin, and tetracycline were determined by the microdilution method. The macrolide resistant phenotypes of isolates were determined through a double-disk. The macrolide-resistant genes (mefA, ermB, and ermA) were amplified by polymerase chain reaction (PCR). RESULTS: Over 95% were resistant to macrolides, while 92.0% were resistant to tetracycline. We also found that all isolates were sensitive to penicillin, chloramphenicol, cefradine, and levofloxacin. Among the 173 erythromycin resistant strains, 171 (98.8%) were assigned to the cMLS phenotype, while the remaining 2 (1.2%) were assigned to the iMLS phenotype. Among the 171 cMLS isolates, 168 isolates (98.2%) had the ermB gene accounting for 98.2%. Meanwhile, 2 iMLS isolates had the ermA gene. Macrolides were highly resistant to ermB positive strains (MIC(90) > 256 microg/ml). Neither the M-phenotype nor the mefA gene was detected. Meanwhile, our studies of multiple centers showed that consumption of macrolides from 2000 to 2006 was very high. CONCLUSION: The main phenotype is cMLS, and the ermB gene code is the main resistance mechanism against macrolides in S. pyogenes. The high rate of macrolide resistance to S. pyogenes was observed, which may be correlated with the overuse of these antibiotics in China.
Authors:
Xiaorong Liu; Xuzhuang Shen; Hesheng Chang; Guoying Huang; Zhou Fu; Yuejie Zheng; Libo Wang; Chengrong Li; Lan Liu; Ying Shen; Yonghong Yang
Related Documents :
23420426 - Analysis of the frequency of isolation and drug resistance of microorganisms isolated f...
19089476 - Isolation of corynebacterium ureicelerivorans from normally sterile sites in humans.
20607346 - Invasive infection caused by streptococcus dysgalactiae subsp. equisimilis: characteris...
10204636 - Macrolides and changes in the oral flora.
22926786 - Morphological changes, chitinolytic enzymes and hydrophobin-like proteins as responses ...
6350346 - Genetic probes for enterotoxigenic escherichia coli isolated from childhood diarrhea in...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article; Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Pediatric pulmonology     Volume:  44     ISSN:  1099-0496     ISO Abbreviation:  Pediatr. Pulmonol.     Publication Date:  2009 May 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2009-04-27     Completed Date:  2009-08-03     Revised Date:  2009-12-01    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8510590     Medline TA:  Pediatr Pulmonol     Country:  United States    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  436-41     Citation Subset:  IM    
Copyright Information:
(c) 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Affiliation:
Beijing Children's Hospital affiliated to Capital Medical University, Beijing 100045, China.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Bacterial Proteins / genetics
Child
China
Drug Resistance, Multiple, Bacterial / genetics*
Genotype
Hospitals, Pediatric
Humans
Macrolides / pharmacology*
Methyltransferases / genetics
Microbial Sensitivity Tests
Pharyngitis / drug therapy,  microbiology*
Phenotype
Polymerase Chain Reaction
Population Surveillance
Streptococcal Infections / drug therapy,  microbiology*
Streptococcus pyogenes / drug effects*,  genetics*
Chemical
Reg. No./Substance:
0/Bacterial Proteins; 0/Macrolides; EC 2.1.1.-/Methyltransferases; EC 2.1.1.48/ErmA protein, Bacteria
Comments/Corrections
Comment In:
Pediatr Pulmonol. 2009 Dec;44(12):1246-7; author reply 1248-9   [PMID:  19911358 ]

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Oropharyngeal flora in healthy infants: observations and implications for cystic fibrosis care.
Next Document:  Unorthodox long-term aerosolized ampicillin use for methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus lu...