Document Detail


High-frequency ventilation in the management of very-low-birth-weight infants with pulmonary hemorrhage.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  15017478     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Severe hypoxic respiratory failure secondary to massive pulmonary hemorrhage (MPH) in preterm infants could be fatal. The aim of this study was to assess the efficacy of high-frequency ventilation (HFV) as a rescue therapy for respiratory failure secondary to MPH in very-low-birth-weight (VLBW) infants. Prospectively we followed up all VLBW infants with pulmonary hemorrhage between January 1993 and December 1996 in our neonatal intensive care unit at King Khalid University Hospital. Seventeen VLBW infants with severe hypoxic respiratory failure secondary to MPH were treated with HFV. Ten (59%) infants responded to HFV and survived, while the other 7 (41%) did not respond and expired. Patent ductus arteriosus was considered the most common associated condition in 10 infants (59%). There were no statistically significant differences between the responders and the nonresponders in regard to gestational age, birth weight, sex ratio, % inborn, and primary diagnosis. However, preintervention peak inspiratory pressure (pip), arterial-alveolar ratio (a/A ratio) and oxygenation index (OI) were higher in the nonresponders ( p = 0.02, p = 0.03, and p = 0.003, respectively), while pip, F IO(2), pa CO(2), a/A ratio and OI were significantly lower than the nonresponders 3 hours postintervention ( p = 0.008, p = 0.006, p = 0.0002, p = 0.0005, and p = 0.0007, respectively). In conclusion, HFV might be an effective and lifesaving mode of treatment in VLBW infants with respiratory failure secondary to MPH; therefore, prospective randomized controlled trials are needed to confirm these findings.
Authors:
Turki M AlKharfy
Related Documents :
19288128 - Infant and perinatal pulmonary hypoplasia frequently associated with brainstem hypodeve...
23173548 - Language experienced in utero affects vowel perception after birth: a two-country study.
15095328 - Symptomatic spontaneous pneumothorax in term newborn infants.
24275068 - Speech and language outcomes of very preterm infants.
7997408 - Infants with single umbilical artery studied in a national registry. 3: a case control ...
12904588 - Postural adjustments in preterm infants at 4 and 6 months post-term during voluntary re...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  American journal of perinatology     Volume:  21     ISSN:  0735-1631     ISO Abbreviation:  Am J Perinatol     Publication Date:  2004 Jan 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2004-03-12     Completed Date:  2004-06-03     Revised Date:  2004-11-17    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8405212     Medline TA:  Am J Perinatol     Country:  United States    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  19-26     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Pediatrics, King Khalid University Hospital, King Saud University, PO Box 59244, Riyadh 11525, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Female
Hemorrhage / epidemiology*,  mortality,  therapy*
High-Frequency Ventilation / statistics & numerical data*
Humans
Infant, Newborn
Infant, Very Low Birth Weight*
Intensive Care Units, Neonatal
Lung Diseases / epidemiology*,  mortality,  therapy*
Male
Prospective Studies
Respiratory Insufficiency / epidemiology,  mortality,  therapy
Saudi Arabia / epidemiology

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Contralateral cerebral infarction following vacuum extraction.
Next Document:  Maternal stressors during prolonged antepartum hospitalization following transfer for maternal-fetal...