Document Detail


HPV-genotypes in high-grade intraepithelial cervical lesions in Danish women.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  23647074     Owner:  NLM     Status:  Publisher    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
OBJECTIVE: A study was undertaken to assess the distribution of high-risk HPV-genotypes in high-grade cervical intraepithelial neoplastic lesions in Danish women. DESIGN: Observational, cross-sectional. POPULATION: Danish data from a multi-centre study undertaken in 13 European countries. METHODS: 290 archived fixed biopsies with high-grade cervical lesions from the Departments of Pathology at the University Hospitals in Hvidovre and Odense, Denmark. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Relevant histological samples were anonymized and shipped to a central laboratory for histopathology review and PCR-testing for human papillomavirus (HPV)-DNA. A standardised HPV-test methodology was utilised to enable comparison of HPV-genotype distribution. RESULTS: Of 290 Danish cervical samples 276 were evaluated as histologically adequate and all of these were HPV-positive (HPV+). Of the HPV+ samples 77.9% were diagnosed with a single HPV-type, with cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (CIN)3 diagnosed in 82.3% and CIN2, CIN2/3, adenocarcinoma in situ (AIS) and AIS+ other high-grade lesion diagnosed in the remaining 17.7%. The most prevalent HPV-types were: HPV16: 54.0%; HPV33: 13.5%; HPV31: 10.7%; HPV18: 7.9% and HPV52: 4.7%. Of HPV+ samples 21.4% were diagnosed with multiple HPV-types, with CIN3 diagnosed in 79.6% and CIN2, CIN2/3, AIS and AIS+ other high-grade lesion diagnosed in the remaining 20.4%. The most prevalent HPV-types were: HPV16: 49.2%; HPV31: 30.5%; HPV52: 27.1%; HPV51: 20.3%; HPV18: 16.9%; HPV33: 13.6%; HPV45: 11.9% and 0.7% unknown types. CONCLUSIONS: HPV16 and HPV18 are detected in approximately 75% of high-grade intraepithelial cervical lesions in a Danish population (single or multiple infections) and these two genotypes are considered causative in at least 61.9% of the high-grade intraepithelial lesions (single infection). This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.
Authors:
Benny Kirschner; Doris Schledermann; Katsiaryna Holl; Mats Rosenlund; Alice Raillard; Wim Quint; Anco Molijn; David Jenkins; Jette Junge
Related Documents :
22777694 - Middle ear carcinoid with distant osseous metastasis.
15256634 - From the archives of the afip: primary vascular neoplasms of the spleen: radiologic-pat...
16755574 - Splenic cord capillary hemangioma and anemia: resolution after splenectomy.
8442674 - Lipothymoadenoma of the parathyroid.
10822224 - The value of dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate measurement in the differentiation between ...
1836794 - Meningovascular syphilis with a gumma of the midbrain.
Publication Detail:
Type:  JOURNAL ARTICLE     Date:  2013-5-6
Journal Detail:
Title:  Acta obstetricia et gynecologica Scandinavica     Volume:  -     ISSN:  1600-0412     ISO Abbreviation:  Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand     Publication Date:  2013 May 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2013-5-7     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0370343     Medline TA:  Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand     Country:  -    
Other Details:
Languages:  ENG     Pagination:  -     Citation Subset:  -    
Copyright Information:
This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.
Affiliation:
Department of Gynecology & Obstetrics, Hvidovre University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark; Department of Pathology, Hvidovre University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Effect of Planning for Connectivity on Linear Reserve Networks.
Next Document:  Negative Interpersonal Events Mediate the Relation Between Borderline Features and Aggressive Behavi...