Document Detail


Further evaluation of uvulopalatopharyngoplasty in the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  3921919     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Since its introduction in 1981 uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP) has become an alternative surgical approach to permanent tracheostomy in treating obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). However, the criteria for selecting candidates for this procedure are unclear and the prediction of a positive response remains an enigma. This article presents the experience with UPPPs performed on 35 patients who had moderate to severe OSA. Criteria for patient selection included apnea severity, cardiopulmonary sequelae, and clinical symptomatology. All but two patients demonstrated clinical improvement, although there was considerable variability in the degree of response. Patients were classified as good or poor responders on the basis of the severity index (SI), which represents the number of apneas and hypopneas per hour of sleep resulting in oxygen saturation below 85%. A greater than 50% improvement in the SI was considered a good response. Twenty-three patients (65.7%) were good responders and the remaining 12 (34.3%) were poor responders. The need for permanent tracheostomy was obviated in 16 of 32 patients presenting with disabling daytime sleepiness or severe cardiopulmonary sequelae. Therefore it appears that UPPP is useful for treating most OSA patients.
Authors:
G P Katsantonis; J K Walsh; P K Schweitzer; W H Friedman
Related Documents :
16254259 - Serum magnesium levels and acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease:...
19549429 - Perception of acute airway function changes by patients with mild asthma.
17459899 - The role of atypical respiratory pathogens in exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulm...
21832979 - No difference between alfacalcidol and paricalcitol in the treatment of secondary hyper...
16021849 - Alteration of the circadian rhythm in peak expiratory flow of nocturnal asthma followin...
2653799 - Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
7723249 - Long-term predictors of survival in essential mixed cryoglobulinemic glomerulonephritis.
25096619 - Predictors of patient dependence in mild-to-moderate alzheimer's disease.
19490619 - Reduced complexity of activity patterns in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome: a ca...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Otolaryngology--head and neck surgery : official journal of American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery     Volume:  93     ISSN:  0194-5998     ISO Abbreviation:  Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg     Publication Date:  1985 Apr 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  1985-06-20     Completed Date:  1985-06-20     Revised Date:  2004-11-17    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8508176     Medline TA:  Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg     Country:  UNITED STATES    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  244-50     Citation Subset:  IM    
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adult
Aged
Female
Humans
Male
Methods
Middle Aged
Oropharynx / pathology
Palate / surgery*
Pharynx / surgery*
Postoperative Complications
Sleep Apnea Syndromes / pathology,  surgery*
Uvula / surgery*

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Palatopharyngoplasty failure, cephalometric roentgenograms, and obstructive sleep apnea.
Next Document:  Infralabyrinthine approach to skull-base lesions.