Document Detail


External carotid artery stenosis in patients with head and neck squamous cell carcinoma--a prospective study.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  17596998     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Vascular disease, which can be asymptomatic until arterial stenosis is severe, is common in head and neck cancer patients as the risk factors for both cancer and atherosclerosis are similar. Although studies of common and internal carotid artery stenosis in head and neck patients have been reported, none have specifically assessed the external carotid system, especially in asymptomatic patients undergoing major microvascular free flap reconstructive surgery. A prospective study of 44 patients using pre-operative duplex scanning to assess the common, external and internal carotid arteries bilaterally. Eighteen patients (41%) had no obvious carotid disease in any vessel. Although the remaining 26 patients (59%) had some carotid tree stenosis, only nine patients (20% of study group) had disease affecting the external carotid artery, with significant stenosis (greater than 50%) of this vessel being found in only three patients (7%). A correlation was found between the degree of carotid stenosis and hypertension (P<0.05). No correlation was found between carotid artery stenosis and flap failure (t=5.4; P=1). Significant stenosis of the external carotid artery, even in the presence of atherosclerosis elsewhere in the carotid tree, is uncommon. The screening of the external carotid artery in head and neck patients requiring microvascular reconstruction should be considered when there are significant risk factors for carotid stenosis, including hypertension.
Authors:
Peter A Brennan
Related Documents :
12944038 - Chlamydia pneumoniae and epstein-barr antibodies are not associated with carotid thickn...
12063228 - Hemostatic closure device after carotid puncture for stent and coil placement in an int...
3789298 - Is external carotid endarterectomy a durable procedure?
3544988 - The value of a combined study of carotid duplex ultrasound and oculopneumoplethysmograp...
16310438 - Comparison of diameter of ascending aorta in patients with severe aortic stenosis secon...
12944038 - Chlamydia pneumoniae and epstein-barr antibodies are not associated with carotid thickn...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article     Date:  2007-06-26
Journal Detail:
Title:  Oral oncology     Volume:  44     ISSN:  1368-8375     ISO Abbreviation:  Oral Oncol.     Publication Date:  2008 Mar 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2008-02-22     Completed Date:  2008-08-25     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  9709118     Medline TA:  Oral Oncol     Country:  England    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  301-4     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, Queen Alexandra Hospital, Portsmouth PO6 3LY, UK. peter.brennan@porthosp.nhs.uk <peter.brennan@porthosp.nhs.uk>
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adult
Aged
Aged, 80 and over
Carcinoma, Squamous Cell / complications,  surgery,  ultrasonography*
Carotid Artery, External / ultrasonography
Carotid Stenosis / etiology,  ultrasonography*
Diabetes Mellitus
Endarterectomy, Carotid
Female
Head and Neck Neoplasms / complications,  surgery,  ultrasonography*
Humans
Hypertension / complications
Logistic Models
Male
Middle Aged
Patient Selection
Prospective Studies
Smoking / adverse effects
Surgical Flaps
Ultrasonography, Doppler, Duplex*

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Developmental bases for key innovations in the seed-plant microgametophyte.
Next Document:  Erythrocyte invasion: vocabulary and grammar of the Plasmodium rhoptry.