Document Detail


Ex vivo cardiovascular magnetic resonance measurements of right and left ventricular mass compared with direct mass measurement in excised hearts after transplantation: a first human SSFP comparison.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  25315015     Owner:  NLM     Status:  Publisher    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
BACKGROUND: CMR is considered the 'gold standard' for non-invasive LV and RV mass quantitation. This information is solely based on gradient-recalled echo (GRE) sequences while contrast dependent on intrinsic T1/T2 characteristics potentially offers superior image contrast between blood and myocardium. This study aims, for the first time in humans, to validate the SSFP approach using explanted hearts obtained from heart transplant recipients. Our objective is establish the correlation between and to validate steady-state free precession (SSFP) derived LV and RV mass vs. autopsy mass of hearts from cardiac transplants patients.
METHODS: Over three-years, 58 explanted cardiomyopathy hearts were obtained immediately upon orthotopic heart transplantation from the OR. They were quickly cleaned, prepared and suspended in a saline-filled container and scanned ex vivo via SSFP-SA slices to define LV/RV mass. Using an automatic thresholding program, segmentation was achieved in combination with manual trimming (ATMT) of extraneous tissue incorporating 3D cardiac modeling performed by independent and blinded readers. The explanted hearts were then dissected with the ventricles surgically separated at the interventricular septum. Weights of the total heart not excluding papillary and trabecular myocardium, LV and RV were measured via high-fidelity scale. Linear regression and Bland-Altman plots were used to analyze the data. The intra-class correlation coefficient was used to assess intra-observer reliability.
RESULTS: Of the total of 58 explanted hearts, 3 (6%) were excluded due to poor image quality leaving 55 patients (94%) for the final analysis. Significant positive correlations were found between total 3D CMR mass (450 ± 111 g) and total pathology mass (445 ± 116 g; r = 0.99, p < 0.001) as well as 3D CMR measured LV mass (301 ± 93 g) and the pathology measured LV mass (313 ± 96 g; r = 0.95, p < 0.001). Strong positive correlations were demonstrated between the 3D CMR measured RV mass (149 ± 46 g) and the pathology measured RV mass (128 ± 40 g; r = 0.76, p < 0.001). The mean bias between 3D-CMR and pathology measures for total mass, LV mass and RV mass were: 3.0 g, -16 g and 19 g, respectively.
CONCLUSIONS: SSFP-CMR accurately determines total myocardial, LV and RV mass as compared to pathology weighed explanted hearts despite variable surgical removal of instrumentation (left and right ventricular assist devices, AICD and often apical core removals). Thus, this becomes the first-ever human CMR confirmation for SSFP now validating the distinction of 'gold standard'.
Authors:
Nicholas J Farber; Sahadev T Reddy; Mark Doyle; Geetha Rayarao; Diane V Thompson; Peter Olson; Jerry Glass; Ronald B Williams; June A Yamrozik; Srinivas Murali; Robert Biederman
Related Documents :
25212575 - Understanding the timing cycles of a cardiac resynchronization device designed with lef...
22663095 - Thick acellular heart extracellular matrix with inherent vasculature: a potential platf...
25336015 - Congenital left ventricular aneurysm coexisting with left ventricular non-compaction in...
25439775 - Pathologic von willebrand factor degradation with a left ventricular assist device occu...
7618615 - Exercise technetium-99m myocardial tomography for the risk stratification of men with m...
9180105 - A prospective, randomized evaluation of prophylactic intraaortic balloon counterpulsati...
Publication Detail:
Type:  JOURNAL ARTICLE     Date:  2014-10-1
Journal Detail:
Title:  Journal of cardiovascular magnetic resonance : official journal of the Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance     Volume:  16     ISSN:  1532-429X     ISO Abbreviation:  J Cardiovasc Magn Reson     Publication Date:  2014 Oct 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2014-10-15     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  2014-10-16    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  9815616     Medline TA:  J Cardiovasc Magn Reson     Country:  -    
Other Details:
Languages:  ENG     Pagination:  74     Citation Subset:  -    
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Anatomical localization of progenitor cells in human breast tissue reveals enrichment of uncommitted...
Next Document:  Patterns of acute whiplash-associated disorder in the Lithuanian population after road traffic accid...