Document Detail


Evaluation of aortic root and valve calcifications by multi-detector computed tomography.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  20099715     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
BACKGROUND AND AIM OF THE STUDY: In percutaneous aortic valve replacement (AVR), whilst calcifications are used as landmarks in fluoroscopic placement of the stent, they may also complicate stent placement. In response to this problem, the study aim was to examine severe aortic root calcification by using multi-detector computed tomography (MDCT), to better understand the pathology complicating percutaneous valve placement. METHODS: In 33 patients with severe aortic stenosis and scheduled for surgery, the 'inner orifice' and 'outer fibrous' annulus diameter and area (with and without calcification) were measured, in addition to the distances of the calcifications and coronary ostia from the annulus, using by ECG-gated 64-slice MDCT. Aortic root calcification was evaluated as minimal (< 25% of total circumference), mild (25-50%), moderate (50-75%), and severe (75-100%). RESULTS: The inner orifice annulus area was 5.9 +/- 1.9 cm2 (range: 1.4-10.1 cm2), while the outer fibrous area was 7.5 +/- 1.8 cm2 (range: 4.7-11.5 cm2). The proximal-to-distal extent of valve calcification from the annulus in the mid-center of leaflets was 0.8 +/- 0.26 cm. In 36% of patients, valvular calcification extended +/- 3 mm within the coronary-ostium level. The distance of the coronary ostia from the annulus was variable, with a mean of 1.3 +/- 0.35 cm (range: 0.6-2.4 cm) for the left coronary artery. In 42% of patients, a 'low coronary ostium' (< or = 1.1 cm), and in 6% a 'critical-low-coronary ostium' (< or = 8 mm) was identified. Annulus calcification was present in 100% of cases, but the severity varied widely (severe 50%, moderate 35%, mild 15%). In 36% of cases, the aortic annulus calcification extended caudally into the membranous part of the interventricular septum (and thus into the left ventricular outflow tract), and in 42% of cases (n = 14) into the anterior mitral valve leaflet. CONCLUSION: The present results indicated that cardiac MDCT may qualify as a primary pre-procedural imaging modality to select patients for percutaneous AVR, based on the measurement and characterization of the aortic root and valve calcification. In comparison to echocardiography, CT will reduce--if not eliminate--difficulties in visualizing the aortic orifice area in heavily calcified valves. Furthermore, knowledge of the exact location of calcific deposits provides a distinct advantage to the fluroscopist for precise placement of the percutaneous aortic valve. Likewise, knowledge of the coronary arteries orifice in relation to the valve plane is critical to prevent inadvertent coronary artery occlusion, and would clearly be beneficial when planning future valve designs.
Authors:
Andrew L Rivard; Thomas Bartel; Richard W Bianco; Kasia Simura O'Donnell; Johannes Bonatti; Wolfgang Dichtl; Ricardo C Cury; Gudrun M Feuchtner
Related Documents :
3170035 - Hemodynamic results of percutaneous aortic balloon valvuloplasty as assessed by sequent...
20452545 - Should aortas in patients with bicuspid aortic valve really be resected at an earlier s...
15502785 - Quantitative assessment of aortic sclerosis using ultrasonic backscatter.
2955015 - Echocardiographic assessment of aortic valve area in elderly patients with aortic steno...
17363095 - Mitral valve prolapse and sudden deafness.
8282745 - Femoral vein valve repair with limited anterior plication (lap).
Publication Detail:
Type:  Clinical Trial; Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  The Journal of heart valve disease     Volume:  18     ISSN:  0966-8519     ISO Abbreviation:  J. Heart Valve Dis.     Publication Date:  2009 Nov 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2010-01-26     Completed Date:  2010-02-18     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  9312096     Medline TA:  J Heart Valve Dis     Country:  England    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  662-70     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
University of Florida, Department of Radiology, P.O. Box 100374, Gainesville, Florida 32610-0374, USA. arivard@ufl.edu
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Aged
Aortic Valve / radiography*
Aortic Valve Stenosis / radiography*,  surgery
Aortography*
Calcinosis / radiography*
Feasibility Studies
Female
Heart Valve Prosthesis Implantation
Humans
Male
Middle Aged
Stents
Tomography, X-Ray Computed

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  P38 MAP kinase in valve interstitial cells is activated by angiotensin II or nitric oxide/peroxynitr...
Next Document:  Anti-HLA antibodies and pulmonary valve allograft function after the Ross procedure.