Document Detail


Evaluation of the FocalPoint GS system performance in an Italian population-based screening of cervical abnormalities.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  18077978     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the FocalPoint Location-Guided Screening (FPGS) performance in computer-assisted primary screening of Papanicolaou-stained cervicovaginal smears. STUDY DESIGN: A total of 37,306 routine consecutive conventional Pap slides were prospectively processed on the FPGS. Each slid designated by the instrument as Review was reported according to results obtained using a GS Review Station. Subsequently, all slides under went conventional manual rapid screening and reported results were compared. RESULTS: Of the slides initially submitted to the FPGS, 34,004 (91.15%) were qualified for scanning. Within these slides, the system classified 7,399 (21.8%) as needing No Further Review and ranked to Review the remaining 26,605 (78.2%). Of the 418 cellular abnormalities found, 409 were classified for Review by FPGS and 9 minor grade lesions were classified in the "No Further Review" population. Overall, 352 (86%) of atypical squamous cell (ASC)+ were ranked in high-score quintiles, including 96 (94%) of the 102 high-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion (HSIL) or worse. Location-guided software identified cellular abnormalities, in the automatically selected fields of view, in 378 (92%) of the ranked abnormal slides, showing a sensitivity > 95% on SILs. CONCLUSION: Slide ranking and location-guided screening features are of value in detecting and triaging abnormal smears.
Authors:
Basilio Passamonti; Simonetta Bulletti; Maria Camilli; Maria Rosaria D'Amico; Eugenio Di Dato; Daniela Gustinucci; Nadia Martinelli; Morena Malaspina; Nicoletta Spita
Related Documents :
21348768 - Pan-resistant acinetobacter baumannii mediastinitis treated successfully with tigecycli...
3120318 - Histologic patterns of liver disease in hemophiliacs, with special reference to morphol...
20511598 - Assessing quality of care from hospital case notes: comparison of reliability of two me...
15913198 - Role of fine needle aspirate mapping and touch imprint preparations in the evaluation o...
9087188 - Airport malaria in cairns.
21348768 - Pan-resistant acinetobacter baumannii mediastinitis treated successfully with tigecycli...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Acta cytologica     Volume:  51     ISSN:  0001-5547     ISO Abbreviation:  Acta Cytol.     Publication Date:    2007 Nov-Dec
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2007-12-14     Completed Date:  2008-01-03     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0370307     Medline TA:  Acta Cytol     Country:  United States    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  865-71     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Clinical Pathology, Cytology Center, Perugia, Italy. bpassamonti@ausl2.umbria.it
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adult
Cervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia / diagnosis
Diagnosis, Computer-Assisted*
Female
Humans
Italy
Mass Screening / methods*
Middle Aged
Prospective Studies
Uterine Cervical Diseases / classification,  diagnosis*,  prevention & control*
Uterine Cervical Neoplasms / diagnosis,  prevention & control
Vaginal Smears / methods*

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Evaluation of abdominal fat pad aspiration cytology and grading for detection in systemic amyloidosi...
Next Document:  Interlaboratory quality control in gynecologic cytopathology using the novel CONQUISTADOR software. ...