Document Detail


Endovascular treatment of traumatic injuries of the vertebral artery.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  18499790     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE: There are a few reports regarding the treatment of traumatic vertebral arteriovenous fistulas and pseudoaneurysms. Our aim was to describe the clinical and angiographic results of endovascular therapy for traumatic injuries of the vertebral artery. MATERIALS AND METHODS: The clinical and angiographic features of 18 traumatic injuries of the vertebral artery during an 8-year period were reviewed. There were 14 male (78%) and 4 female patients (22%). The average age was 28 years (range, 11-49 years). Of the 18 lesions of the vertebral artery, 17 (95%) were the result of penetrating trauma (gunshot or stab wound injury) and 1 (5%) was iatrogenic (jugular vein catheter). In 16 (89%) instances, the injury resulted in an arteriovenous fistula, and in the other 2 (11%), in a pseudoaneurysm. All patients were treated with an endovascular approach by using different techniques (balloon occlusion, coil embolization, and/or stent deployment). RESULTS: Endovascular therapy resulted in immediate lesion total occlusion in 16 (89%) patients. Delayed total occlusion was demonstrated angiographically during follow-up in the 2 remaining patients. Clinical improvement was documented in all patients, and there were no clinically symptomatic complications. CONCLUSION: In this small series, endovascular techniques were a safe and effective method of treatment and were not associated with significant morbidity or mortality.
Authors:
D A Herrera; S A Vargas; A B Dublin
Publication Detail:
Type:  Clinical Trial; Journal Article     Date:  2008-05-22
Journal Detail:
Title:  AJNR. American journal of neuroradiology     Volume:  29     ISSN:  1936-959X     ISO Abbreviation:  AJNR Am J Neuroradiol     Publication Date:  2008 Sep 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2008-09-10     Completed Date:  2008-11-24     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8003708     Medline TA:  AJNR Am J Neuroradiol     Country:  United States    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  1585-9     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Radiology, Neuroradiology Section, Universidad de Antioquia, Hospital Universitario San Vicente de Paul, Medellin, Colombia. herrera.diego@gmail.com
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adolescent
Adult
Child
Embolization, Therapeutic / methods*
Female
Humans
Male
Middle Aged
Treatment Outcome
Vertebral Artery / injuries*
Wounds, Penetrating / therapy*

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Characterization of aneurysm remnants after endovascular treatment: contrast-enhanced MR angiography...
Next Document:  Association between cerebral microbleeds on T2*-weighted MR images and recurrent hemorrhagic stroke ...