Document Detail


Endovascular coil embolization for saccular-shaped blood blister-like aneurysms of the internal carotid artery.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  21136276     Owner:  NLM     Status:  In-Data-Review    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
BACKGROUND: Because of their fragile and thin wall, ruptured blood blister-like aneurysms (BBAs) at the anterior wall of the internal carotid artery (ICA) are difficult to manage, both surgically, as well as endovascularly. BBA is usually a tiny and broad-necked aneurysm, but it occasionally demonstrates a relatively saccular-like shape. In addition, the pseudoaneurysm sac often assumes a saccular shape. In this paper, the authors present their experience in treating these saccular-shaped BBAs endovascularly with coil packing.
METHOD: Nine saccular-shaped ruptured BBAs in nine patients (one male and eight females; mean age 51.3 years, range 38-76) were treated with coil packing of the lesion between January 2006 and August 2010 in Nagoya University and its affiliated hospitals. Clinical, procedural, and angiographic data were retrospectively evaluated.
FINDINGS: Seven BBAs were treated by balloon-assisted coil embolization. Two remaining BBAs were embolized without balloon inflation, though a balloon catheter was on standby at the ICA. In one case, in which a saccular coil embolization could not be achieved, ICA trapping was performed. Three (33.3%) were treated in acute, two (22.2%) in subacute, and four (44.4%) in chronic period. One (11.1%) intraoperative rupture occurred. Six (66.7%) had excellent clinical outcomes, while two (22.2%) proved fatal outcomes. During the follow-up period (mean 18.9 months, range 4-48), two out of seven (28.6%) aneurysms presented an angiographical recurrence, but both were treated by coil embolization without complications. The remaining five (71.4%) aneurysms were completely resolved.
CONCLUSIONS: Endovascular coil embolization can be considered as an alternative treatment option for selective saccular-shaped BBAs.
Authors:
Noriaki Matsubara; Shigeru Miyachi; Nobuhiro Tsukamoto; Takashi Izumi; Takehiro Naito; Kenichi Haraguchi; Toshihiko Wakabayashi
Related Documents :
453036 - Congenital bilateral subclavian steal: ductus-dependent symptoms in interrupted aortic ...
20584036 - Isolation of the left subclavian artery from the pulmonary artery in a patient with cha...
12925266 - Axilloaxillary bypass for the treatment of subclavian artery stenosis complicated by bi...
14533956 - Hyperperfusion syndrome of the deltoid muscle after subclavian artery angioplasty and s...
16924666 - Transcatheter occlusion of a residual muscular ventricular septal defect using an ampla...
17670206 - Integrated procedure for giant right coronary aneurysm with fistula and atrial fibrilla...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article     Date:  2010-12-07
Journal Detail:
Title:  Acta neurochirurgica     Volume:  153     ISSN:  0942-0940     ISO Abbreviation:  Acta Neurochir (Wien)     Publication Date:  2011 Feb 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2011-01-28     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0151000     Medline TA:  Acta Neurochir (Wien)     Country:  Austria    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  287-94     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Neurosurgery, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, 65 Tsurumai-Cho, Showa-Ku, Nagoya, Aichi, 466-8550, Japan.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  A novel monoclonal antibody immunoassay for the detection of human serum hepcidin.
Next Document:  Childhood bullying as a predictor for becoming a teenage mother in Finland.