Document Detail


Efficacy of prenatal ultrasonography in confirmed club foot.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  12358364     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Club foot can be diagnosed by ultrasound of the fetus in more than 60% of cases. We have correlated the accuracy of the prenatal findings in 281 ultrasound surveys with the physical findings after birth and the subsequent treatment in 147 children who were born with club foot. The earliest week of gestation in which the condition was diagnosed with a high degree of confidence was the 12th and the latest was the 32nd. Not all patients were diagnosed at an early stage. In 29% of fetuses the first ultrasound examination failed to detect the deformity which subsequently became obvious at a later examination. Club foot was diagnosed between 12 and 23 weeks of gestation in 86% of children and between 24 and 32 weeks of gestation in the remaining 14%. Therefore it can be considered to be an early event in gestation (45% identified by the 17th week), a late event (45% detected between 18th and 24th weeks) or a very late event (10% recognised between 25th and 32nd weeks). We cannot exclude, however, the possibility that the late-onset groups may have been diagnosed late because earlier scans were false-negative results. The prenatal ultrasonographic findings were correlated with the physical findings after birth and showed that bilateral involvement was more common than unilateral. There was no significant relationship between the prenatal diagnosis and the postnatal therapeutic approach (i.e., conservative or surgical), or the degree of rigidity of the affected foot.
Authors:
D Keret; E Ezra; F Lokiec; S Hayek; E Segev; S Wientroub
Related Documents :
1294404 - The influence of presentation and method of delivery on neonatal mortality and infant n...
17371794 - Correlated responses for litter traits to six generations of selection for ovulation ra...
9431284 - In utero exposure to famine and subsequent fertility: the dutch famine birth cohort study.
7367054 - An unusual case of short limbed dwarfism and thoracic dystrophy with normal spine, hand...
8856364 - Phagocyte chemiluminescence in pre-term infants.
10219684 - The bayley scales of infant development. ii: where to start?
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  The Journal of bone and joint surgery. British volume     Volume:  84     ISSN:  0301-620X     ISO Abbreviation:  J Bone Joint Surg Br     Publication Date:  2002 Sep 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2002-10-02     Completed Date:  2002-10-25     Revised Date:  2010-11-10    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0375355     Medline TA:  J Bone Joint Surg Br     Country:  England    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  1015-9     Citation Subset:  AIM; IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Paediatric Orthopaedics, Dana Children's Hospital, Tel Aviv Medical Centre and Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Clubfoot / ultrasonography*
Diagnosis, Differential
Female
Gestational Age
Humans
Infant, Newborn
Male
Pregnancy
Retrospective Studies
Ultrasonography, Prenatal*

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Hemicortical allograft reconstruction after resection of low-grade malignant bone tumours.
Next Document:  The classification of congenital talipes equinovarus.