Document Detail


Efficacy of a haemostatic matrix for the management of bleeding in patients undergoing liver resection: results from 237 cases.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  18291065     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
BACKGROUND: The haemostatic matrix (FloSeal) is a topical agent that provides effective haemostasis in a range of surgical applications. We evaluated this sealant for intraoperative haemostatic effectiveness in an observational series of patients undergoing surgery for the resection of primary and metastatic liver tumours. METHODS: A haemostatic matrix was applied directly to areas of bleeding. The severity of bleeding before and after application was graded on a 5-point scale (0 = no bleeding, 1 = oozing, 2 = moderate blood flow, 3 = heavy blood flow, 4 = spurting blood). The time to complete haemostasis was also recorded. RESULTS: 105 women (age 61 +/- 9 years) and 132 men (age 61 +/- 12 years) were included in this study. One hundred and seventeen patients (49.36%) had pre-operative coagulopathy resulting from co-existent cirrhosis (67 Child-Pugh Class A; 50 Child-Pugh Class B). Prior to administration of a haemostatic matrix, 93 bleeding sites (24.8%) had a bleeding severity score of 2, 269 bleeding sites (71.7%) had a score of 3 and 13 bleeding sites (3.5%) had a score of 4. Following administration of the haemostatic matrix, bleeding stopped completely (score of 0) at 367 (97.9%) of the 375 sites and was reduced to a score of 1 at the remaining 8 sites (2.1%), of which only 2 were in patients with coagulopathy. The mean time to achieve haemostasis in the overall population was 2.9 +/- 1 min; this was significantly increased in patients with coagulopathy versus noncoagulopathic patients (4 +/- 1 vs. 2 +/- 1 min, p < 0.001). CONCLUSIONS: In this prospective, uncontrolled study of 237 consecutive patients undergoing major hepatic surgery to remove primary or metastatic tumours, application of a haemostatic matrix provided rapid and effective intraoperative control of mild to severe bleeding from the liver edge, even in patients with prolonged bleeding times resulting from cirrhosis. This preliminary evidence warrants a randomised, controlled clinical trial with a larger sample size.
Authors:
Francesco Izzo; Raimondo Di Giacomo; Paolo Falco; Mauro Piccirillo; Rossana Iodice; Antonio Pio Orlando; Pasquale Aprea; Francesco Cremona; Massimiliano Di Marzo; Domenico Nicola Idà; Angelo A Mastro; Steven A Curley
Related Documents :
11879595 - Acute nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage.
2784375 - Colonic angiodysplasia. follow-up of patients after endoscopic treatment for bleeding l...
17708245 - Age is not a discriminating factor for outcomes of therapeutic upper gastrointestinal e...
9423795 - The treatment of bleeding in acquired haemophilia with recombinant factor viia: a multi...
12701075 - First metatarsocuneiform arthrodesis and reverdin-laird osteotomy for treatment of hall...
24464035 - Ceftriaxone-induced pseudolithiasis in children treated for perforated appendicitis.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article; Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't     Date:  2008-02-19
Journal Detail:
Title:  Current medical research and opinion     Volume:  24     ISSN:  1473-4877     ISO Abbreviation:  Curr Med Res Opin     Publication Date:  2008 Apr 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2008-04-23     Completed Date:  2008-06-13     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0351014     Medline TA:  Curr Med Res Opin     Country:  England    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  1011-5     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
The G. Pascale National Cancer Institute, Naples, Italy. izzo@connect.it
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Blood Loss, Surgical / prevention & control*
Female
Gels
Hemostasis / drug effects*
Hepatectomy / methods*
Humans
Italy
Liver Neoplasms / surgery*
Male
Middle Aged
Postoperative Hemorrhage / prevention & control*
Prospective Studies
Thrombin / administration & dosage*
Time Factors
Chemical
Reg. No./Substance:
0/Gels; EC 3.4.21.5/Thrombin

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  International experiences with health claims in food labeling
Next Document:  Colesevelam hydrochloride in clinical practice: a new approach in the treatment of hypercholesterola...