Document Detail


Effects of smell loss (hyposmia) on salt usage.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  24631387     Owner:  NLM     Status:  Publisher    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
OBJECTIVE: Smell loss (hyposmia) inhibits flavor perception and influences food intake. To compensate for flavor loss, some patients with hyposmia appear to increase salt usage. The purpose of this study was to compare self-reported salt usage in patients with hyposmia with that in normal volunteers.
METHODS: Salt usage was compared in 56 patients with hyposmia but with normal taste function with that in 27 normal volunteers. Salt usage was formulated with respect to 1) a standard quantitative salt intake scale, 2) salt addition related to food intake, 3) intake of foods and beverages with high salt content, and 4) salt intake related to presence or absence of hypertension.
RESULTS: Eighteen (32%) of the 56 patients self-reported increased salt usage; they were labeled "increased users." The other 38 hyposmic patients (68%) did not report increased salt usage; they were labeled "non-changers." Increased users estimated their salt usage rose an average 2.8 times that experienced before their hyposmia onset. They also reported adding salt to their food before tasting it and ate more highly salted foods than did the non-changers. Salt usage was not increased further among increased users with hypertension but was increased further among non-changers with hypertension.
CONCLUSIONS: Salt usage is increased among some patients with hyposmia presumably to enhance flavor perception to compensate for diminished flavor perception related to loss of smell.
Authors:
Robert I Henkin
Related Documents :
15369737 - Bioavailability of ellagic acid in human plasma after consumption of ellagitannins from...
24163617 - Direct synthesis of esbo derivatives-(18)o labelled with dioxirane.
23683977 - Menu labeling regulations and calories purchased at chain restaurants.
15701527 - From the ape's dilemma to the weanling's dilemma: early weaning and its evolutionary co...
3688847 - Non-reinforcing effects of giving 'dessert' in rats.
25450497 - Development of a report card on healthy food environments and nutrition for children in...
Publication Detail:
Type:  JOURNAL ARTICLE     Date:  2013-11-19
Journal Detail:
Title:  Nutrition (Burbank, Los Angeles County, Calif.)     Volume:  -     ISSN:  1873-1244     ISO Abbreviation:  Nutrition     Publication Date:  2013 Nov 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2014-3-17     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8802712     Medline TA:  Nutrition     Country:  -    
Other Details:
Languages:  ENG     Pagination:  -     Citation Subset:  -    
Copyright Information:
Copyright © 2013 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Yacon effects in immune response and nutritional status of iron and zinc in preschool children.
Next Document:  Massive and long-lasting decrease in vitamin C plasma levels as a consequence of extracorporeal circ...