Document Detail


Effect of endoscopic injection therapy with combined cyanoacrylate and lipiodol for bleeding gastric varices: A single center experience.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  20883424     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the safety and efficacy of the endoscopic injection therapy with combined cyanoacrylate and lipiodol for bleeding gastric fundal varices.
METHODS: The medical records of cirrhotic and non-cirrhotic patients who underwent at least one episode of endoscopic application of N-butyl-2-cyanoacrylate-lipiodol mixture for gastric varices at our gastroenterology clinic between October 2004 and January 2010 were reviewed. The technique comprised the dilution of 0.5 mL of cyanoacrylate with 0.5 mL of lipiodol and repeating intravariceal injections of 1.0 mL each until hemostasis was achieved.
RESULTS: A total of 66 patients (41 male and 25 female) with gastric varices underwent 86 endoscopic injections of cyanoacrylate for hemostasis. Overall 38 patients (57.6%) had active bleeding during the endoscopic procedure, while the remaining 28 (42.4%) underwent cyanoacrylate under elective conditions. In one patient (1.5%) hemostasis could not be achieved, prompting referral for emergency surgery. The median number of sessions was one (range 1-3). Eleven patients (16.6%) rebled during a median follow-up period of 6.02 months (0.1-62.4 months). There was no bleeding-related death. One patient developed splenic infarction a day after N-butyl-2-cyanoacrylate injection.
CONCLUSION: Endoscopic injection therapy combining cyanoacrylate and lipiodol is effective for bleeding gastric fundal varices.
Authors:
Mevlut Kurt; Meral Akdogan; Abdurrahim Sayilir; Sedef Kuran; Yasemin O Ozderin; Mehmet Arhan; Ibrahim K Onal; Murat Kekilli; Yavuz Beyazit; Mutlu Hayran
Related Documents :
18021974 - Did volume of lymphocele after kidney transplantation determine the choice of treatment...
17323294 - Comparison of recurrence rate and hemodynamic effect among various technical approaches...
16498354 - Prevention of first upper gastrointestinal bleeding in cirrhosis.
11690704 - Salvage transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt for uncontrolled variceal bleedin...
17192734 - Percutaneous posterior tibial nerve stimulation in patients with chronic pelvic pain: a...
22020904 - Indocyanine green retention test avoiding liver failure after hepatectomy for hepatolit...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Journal of digestive diseases     Volume:  11     ISSN:  1751-2980     ISO Abbreviation:  J Dig Dis     Publication Date:  2010 Oct 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2010-10-04     Completed Date:  2011-01-24     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  101302699     Medline TA:  J Dig Dis     Country:  Australia    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  284-90     Citation Subset:  IM    
Copyright Information:
© 2010 Chinese Medical Association Shanghai Branch, Chinese Society of Gastroenterology, Renji Hospital Affiliated to Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine and Blackwell Publishing Asia Pty Ltd.
Affiliation:
Department of Gastroenterology, Turkiye Yuksek Ihtisas Teaching and Research Hospital, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey. dr.mevlutkurt@gmail.com
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adolescent
Adult
Aged
Aged, 80 and over
Cyanoacrylates / administration & dosage*
Endoscopy, Gastrointestinal
Esophageal and Gastric Varices / therapy*
Ethiodized Oil / administration & dosage*
Female
Gastrointestinal Hemorrhage / therapy*
Humans
Injections, Intralesional
Male
Middle Aged
Young Adult
Chemical
Reg. No./Substance:
0/Cyanoacrylates; 8008-53-5/Ethiodized Oil

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Alteration and role of heat shock proteins in acute pancreatitis.
Next Document:  Clinical study on pulmonary diffusion function in patients with chronic liver disease.