Document Detail


E-selectin expression in human cardiac grafts with cellular rejection.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  7693367     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
BACKGROUND: E-selectin expression has recently been documented to occur with lymphocytic infiltration in the skin and synovium. The question of whether E-selectin is expressed in the context of cardiac graft rejection was addressed in this study. METHODS AND RESULTS: One hundred ninety-five human posttransplant cardiac biopsy specimens were immunoreacted with antibodies to E-selectin and VCAM-1, and endothelial expression of both adhesion molecules was recorded as present or absent. Cardiac graft rejection was graded in blinded fashion. The frequency of E-selectin expression was 11% in biopsies without rejection, 36% in mild rejection, and 58% in moderate rejection, a significant correlation (P < .001). VCAM-1 expression was present in 11% of biopsies with no rejection, 37% with mild rejection, and 85% with moderate rejection, corroborating the previously reported strong correlation between VCAM-1 expression and graft rejection (P < .0001). In 71% of specimens, E-selectin expression coincided with VCAM-1 expression. In the remaining 29% of specimens in which E-selectin and VCAM-1 expression were not both present, isolated E-selectin expression was found more frequently in biopsies with early, increasing rejection, whereas isolated VCAM-1 expression was found more frequently in specimens with established moderate rejection and later, resolving rejection. CONCLUSIONS: E-selectin is expressed in cardiac allograft rejection and may play a role in recruitment of lymphocytes into the graft. Rejection trend analysis suggests that E-selectin expression may be prominent early in the course of rejection.
Authors:
M D Allen; T O McDonald; V E Himes; D P Fishbein; S Aziz; D D Reichenbach
Related Documents :
23503597 - Three transcription factors, hfr1, laf1 and hy5, regulate largely independent signaling...
16154157 - Endogenous prostaglandin d(2) synthesis decreases vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 exp...
9445067 - Essential roles of nf-kappab and c/ebp in the regulation of intercellular adhesion mole...
10574717 - Characterisation of the tumour necrosis factor (tnf)-(alpha) response elements in the h...
14715707 - Transcriptional regulation of the human chorionic gonadotropin beta gene during villous...
15211107 - Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor enhances nuclear factor-kappab activity and...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Circulation     Volume:  88     ISSN:  0009-7322     ISO Abbreviation:  Circulation     Publication Date:  1993 Nov 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  1993-11-29     Completed Date:  1993-11-29     Revised Date:  2010-03-24    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0147763     Medline TA:  Circulation     Country:  UNITED STATES    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  II243-7     Citation Subset:  AIM; IM    
Affiliation:
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Washington, Seattle 98195.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Biopsy
Cell Adhesion / immunology
Cell Adhesion Molecules / metabolism*,  physiology
E-Selectin
Graft Rejection / immunology*
Heart Transplantation / immunology*,  pathology
Humans
Immunoenzyme Techniques
Immunosuppression
Myocardium / metabolism,  pathology
Vascular Cell Adhesion Molecule-1
Chemical
Reg. No./Substance:
0/Cell Adhesion Molecules; 0/E-Selectin; 0/Vascular Cell Adhesion Molecule-1

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Experience with the Damus-Kaye-Stansel procedure for children with Taussig-Bing hearts or univentric...
Next Document:  Plasminogen promotes the development of rat mesencephalic dopaminergic neurons in vitro.