Document Detail


Drosophila hemopoiesis and cellular immunity.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  17404248     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
In Drosophila melanogaster larvae, three classes of circulating cellular immune surveillance cells (hemocytes) can be identified: plasmatocytes, crystal cells, and lamellocytes. Plasmatocytes are professional phagocytes most similar to the mammalian monocyte/macrophage lineage and make up approximately 95% of circulating hemocytes. The other approximately 5% of circulating hemocytes consists of crystal cells, which secrete components necessary for the melanization of invading organisms, as well as for wound repair. A third cell type known as lamellocytes are rarely seen in healthy larvae and are involved in the encapsulation of invading pathogens. There are no obvious mammalian counterparts for crystal cells or lamellocytes, and there is no equivalent to the lymphoid lineage in insects. In this review, I will discuss what is currently known about Drosophila hemopoiesis and the cellular immune response and where possible compare it to vertebrate mechanisms.
Authors:
Michael J Williams
Related Documents :
12645928 - Drosophila perlecan modulates fgf and hedgehog signals to activate neural stem cell div...
17741248 - Daily rhythmicity of corpus allatum and neurosecretory cells in drosophila melanogaster...
7628018 - Different levels of the c. elegans growth factor lin-3 promote distinct vulval precurso...
3130628 - Developmental regulation of an insulin-degrading enzyme from drosophila melanogaster.
1680198 - Differential binding of haemophilus influenzae to human tissues by fimbriae.
10922038 - Exploitation of host cells by enteropathogenic escherichia coli.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article; Review    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Journal of immunology (Baltimore, Md. : 1950)     Volume:  178     ISSN:  0022-1767     ISO Abbreviation:  J. Immunol.     Publication Date:  2007 Apr 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2007-04-03     Completed Date:  2007-05-21     Revised Date:  2008-11-21    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  2985117R     Medline TA:  J Immunol     Country:  United States    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  4711-6     Citation Subset:  AIM; IM    
Affiliation:
Umeå Centre for Molecular Pathogenesis, Umeå University, Umeå, Sweden. michael.williams@ucmp.umu.se
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Animals
Cell Differentiation
Drosophila / immunology*
Hematopoiesis*
Immunity, Cellular*
Immunity, Innate
Phagocytosis
Wound Healing

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Identification of a regulator of transcription elongation as an accessory factor for the human Media...
Next Document:  Cutting edge: Tlr5-/- mice are more susceptible to Escherichia coli urinary tract infection.